Canadian drone laws

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
If that's the case then the MAAC membership is actually cheaper and less restrictive then the bureaucracy that is being imposed. I am educated by the University of YT so who knows what I come up with lol.

jross

From what I understood, so long as you are a member you are exempt from the new laws.
As long as you fly within the safety guidelines of MAAC, which exceed the regulations from Transport Canada.

MAAC safety documents live here.

https://www.maac.ca/en/documents.php

Signed exemption here. Includes the conditions of the exemption. Like a drivers license, you have to have your MAAC membership card with you to identify you as a member.

https://www.maac.ca/docs/Exemption - Signed.pdf

If you're American and want to fly in Canada, this will be of interest to you. Mutual Agreement of Understanding between the AMA and MAAC. The golden key if you want to fly in Canada.

https://secure.maac.ca/get_document.php?document_id=332

Just found this recent video from Drone U with a representative of Transport Canada that explains what you need to do to fly in Canada as an American. Done with commercial operations in mind mostly but still excellent for the hobbyist too.

The Drone U video.

If you're just doing it for fun, join AMA, print a copy of the Mutual Agreement of Understanding between the AMA and MAAC. Probably best to print a copy of the MAAC exemption from Transport Canada too. Have you AMA membership card with you. Make it easy for the Mounties. They're the ones you're likely to see as they're charged with enforcing these laws and police most of Canada, for better or worse.

Or fly a Mavic Mini or Dart 250 under 400 feet in uncontrolled airspace.

Last edited:

jross

I never want to register myself as a criminal to the Gov.

The fines are lower if you register... Get your basic flight certificate or join MAAC.

If that's the case then the MAAC membership is actually cheaper and less restrictive then the bureaucracy that is being imposed.
Dude. Even comes with some liability insurance as long as you're not being an idiot. Met loads of local fliers through my membership. Found them after 6 months of flying alone. Awesome. Guys flying planes that barely fit in an 8 foot pickup box with the tailgate down and wings off. Get to watch other people crash planes and blow stuff up. Watching yourself do it over and over gets tiring.

Last edited:

Robyle3

I can agree to that. I'm looking forward to meeting up with my local club in the new year. But for now, I'll just keep building my latest project.

Foam Folder

The trouble is the MOT has an agenda, don't know what it is or why, the exam is designed to make you fail and give up in frustration! Most of the questions have nothing to do with RC flying, drone or otherwise. The question I get a kick out of is, define laminar flow, guaranteed if you get it right, (the Bernoulli principle where it is shown that a fluid in a pipe flows at a lower speed near the surface of the pipe under more pressure than in the center where there is less pressure and a higher rate of flow). You will be wrong! Guaranteed they can have any answer but the right one, (The principle is named after Daniel Bernoulli who published it in his book Hydrodynamica in 1738).

I will not register myself as a criminal!

Last edited:

Robyle3

Ummm, I don't mean to rain on your parade (or maybe I just misread your post @Foam Folder ) , but in the context of that exam I'd assume that their definition of laminar flow would be practical. As in, laminar flow being the wing has not stalled.
And in terms of Bernoulli's principle (which, if you want some references is not THE sole factor in why wings produce lift), I'd hope that anyone flying has a basic knowledge of forces acting on a flying object.

Foam Folder

Ummm, I don't mean to rain on your parade (or maybe I just misread your post @Foam Folder ) , but in the context of that exam I'd assume that their definition of laminar flow would be practical. As in, laminar flow being the wing has not stalled.
And in terms of Bernoulli's principle (which, if you want some references is not THE sole factor in why wings produce lift), I'd hope that anyone flying has a basic knowledge of forces acting on a flying object.

Trying to point out that you cannot expect the practical.
IE. define the types of clouds.
IE. define icing conditions.
IE. how soon after consuming alcohol may you fly.
Just some of the comments I have seen.
Most people seem to think most of the questions on the exam have nothing to do with rc flying

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Trying to point out that you cannot expect the practical.
IE. define the types of clouds.
IE. define icing conditions.
IE. how soon after consuming alcohol may you fly.
Just some of the comments I have seen.
Most people seem to think most of the questions on the exam have nothing to do with rc flying
Your point being the exam is designed for discouragement and failure? I wouldn't put it past them

Robyle3

Again, I'm NOT trying to play the devil's advocate, but general knowledge does play into how safe you are when flying RC.

Clouds
The types of cloud are useful for getting a general idea of weather conditions, helping you judge when safe flying windows are.

Icing conditions
Don't fly when there's freezing rain. Be aware that moving your aircraft from warm areas to cool areas MAY introduce condensation that can then inhibit control surfaces. (De-icing solutions may be as simple as a toothpick).

Alcohol consumption.
In practice, I don't even think about operating a vehicle within two hours of my last drink. Same would apply to my planes (but seriously, if you're drinking, the flying day's already done, no?).

Disclaimer, though. I do agree that for our purposes, those questions are very loosely connected to our hobby. They're more general knowledge questions that will tell the Government wether or not the applicant is aware of the "dangers" affecting and caused by a >25kg blob flying in the air.

If, and only if I was taking the gov. test, I'd cheese it by reviewing the regulations for full-size aircraft (what those questions seem to be taken from). According to the people who designed the regulation, an RC craft poses the same property/personal damage risk of an ultralight (which they couldn't possibly, but, paranoia is a thing). All of the "flight classes" they link to are for drones that they themselves define as advanced operations craft. So it follows that they'd assume that operating a RAS is a perfectly uniform experience regardless of size over 250g. They are obviously wrong, but for the sake of argument, that is what the exam is based around.
(Disclaimer, again. I've not actually seen the exam because I've decided to get a MAAC membership in the new year and meet up with my local flight club, thus bypassing the need to put my name down on the "criminals with drones" list. I am simply replying with regard to what I am gathering is a rudely generalized assumption that we, RC flyers, are twits who don't have the common sense to respect people's belongings and personal safety. I don't know a single person who ever said "let's go out tonight in this thunderstorm after a few drinks and crash my beautiful (insert aircraft) into this person's window/face just for kicks.")

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Common sense?

Regulation; 601.22 Requirement for pilot in command;,
Answer; a LIDAR, (light detection and ranging), on a small RPA

I can't even figure out what this means?
Line of sight I am guessing, LIDAR is a bad acronym though lol. If I saw the word LIDAR on the exam I would be confused as to what this meant and get the question wrong

Robyle3

Sorry, hehe, I'm not trying to win a (hopefully non-existent) argument, just agreeing with @Foam Folder that the exam is a bunch of hoopla. To what I understood, LIDAR is the name for "put NAV lights on all your models, kids" regulation. It is directly related to line of sight, though, so you're not wrong.
Since the questions are designed for and based off the assumption that we all fly these massive, totally not park-flyer sized models, for 80% of hobbyists the regulations are unneeded if one just flys responsibly.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I don't think the governing bodies do a good enough job regulating the manned aircraft level of the regulations that the park flying children's toys are going to be next to improbable to enforce. There is no way in the half hour time frame that I fly at a time, if that, in a farmers field or greenspace that a neighboring property owner see's me flying, calls me in, that a police officer shows up to come and give me a fine or takes me away. I have called the police for handful of reasons ranging from noisy neighbors to break and entering and I would be hard pressed to say they show up in less then an hour.

I will just keep up my MAAC membership and do my thing, business as usual.

Foam Folder

Trouble is if you get a pilots licence, you get training and study material.
Transport Canada recommended study material for RPAVs;

Recommended study material
Transport Canada publications (TP), including the following, may be purchased from retailers, or at the following web site: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/publications/menu.htm.

The Study Guide for the Radiotelephone Restricted Operator Certificate - Aeronautical (RIC-21) is available free of charge from district offices of Industry Canada - Examinations and Radio Licensing (http://www.strategis.gc.ca).

Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) are available online at:
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-433/index.html

NAV CANADA publications, including the following, may be purchased from retailers, or at the following web site:
http://www.navcanada.ca/EN/products-and-services/Pages/aeronautical-information-products.aspx

• VFR Navigation Charts (VNC )/VFR Terminal Area Charts (VTA )
  • Canada Flight Supplement
The NAV CANADA VFR Phraseology guide is available for download at
https://www.navcanada.ca/EN/media/Publications/VFR Phraseology.pdf

Information on the Transportation of Dangerous Goods is available from Transport Canada.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/tdg/safety-menu.htm

Text books and other publications produced by commercial publishers can be obtained through local flying training organization, bookstores and similar sources.

dl-doc-icon.png

Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS)— TP 15263 (PDF, 489 KB)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
What 12 year old kid is gonna read all that just to pass a test to fly a toy. I have a 14 year old kid who is going for a learners driving license and has to read 1/10th of that to be able to pass that exam. And to top it all off, that same 12 year old kid needs to have a licensed spotter because said kid is under the age of 16. So now if that kid only has a parent to supervise his flying, that parent needs to go through the same studying and testing, what parent has time for that. Come on does that seem reasonable.

Yea it does encourage people to use MAAC to skip all this shenanigans, but for an MAAC membership all you have to do is apply and pay an annual fee, no test, no official registration of planes, so much more convenient. So in the end what is the point of all this wasted time and hype surrounding this non-issue, wasting taxpayers money trying to legislate and enforce what is already deemed good enough in the eyes of MAAC. Just does not make any sense.