About these motor prop nuts...

Tench745

Master member
Good one.
After several fairly deep searches that's the first time I've found someone say "M12 x 25 = 12 mm diameter..."
Believe it or not all this time I've been just guessing that describes the diameter but never been sure.
Really? I thought this was common knowledge about bolts.
Like how Imperial sizes are given in diameter and threads per inch x length ie. 1/4"-20 x1"
Metric are speced similarly in diameter, (sometimes pitch) and length. Like an M5-.8x10 would be 5mm diameter, .8mm pitch, and 10mm long.

The only confusing part is number sizes in imperial, such as a #6 or #10 screw. The M designator for metric is to differentiate them from the imperial # sizes.

Like how Imperial sizes are given in diameter and threads per inch x length ie. 1/4"-20 x1"
Metric are speced similarly in diameter, (sometimes pitch) and length. Like an M5-.8x10 would be 5mm diameter, .8mm pitch, and 10mm long.

The only confusing part is number sizes in imperial, such as a #6 or #10 screw. The M designator for metric is to differentiate them from the imperial # sizes.
Yeah, true. I never heard or saw confirmation that the M sizes were diameter in mm. I strongly suspected but wasn't going to assume.

I was just never exposed to the info and never had a need for it. Thanks for the clarification.

Haha Hey I could tell you a whole lot of things about a lot of things that you don't much care about anyway!