How to make soot stains for exhaust?

SSgt Duramax

Hi everyone, I was wondering how everyone would make soot stains for exhaust. I do not have an airbrush. A google search has led me to see pencil lead, candle soot, black oil paint, and drybrushing. Does anyone have any good recommendations on how to do this? This is the effect I am going for.

F6F-3_Hellcat (1).JPG

Bricks

Master member
Dry brushing would be the best in your circumstance, you could use some burnt wood, or ashes run your dry brush across it then onto the plane. Once you have it the way you want it a light coat of Lacquer will make it stay. Practice on a scrap piece of foamboard.

Pieliker96

Elite member
Pencil lead works wonders, especially on unpainted white foamboard. You can use it for exhaust trails, panel lines, battle scars, and more - just draw what you want, then use your finger to distribute the coloring across the paper.

From this:

20201215_181146_HDR.jpg

To this:

background4noisejpg.jpg

And some close-ups.

20220110_163713.jpg 20220110_163740.jpg

SSgt Duramax

Phin G

Elite member
Pencil lead works wonders, especially on unpainted white foamboard. You can use it for exhaust trails, panel lines, battle scars, and more - just draw what you want, then use your finger to distribute the coloring across the paper.

From this:

View attachment 215415

To this:

View attachment 215414

And some close-ups.

View attachment 215412 View attachment 215413
I use a mix of a pencil wash and a wet paint wash for panel lines and a use a Tamiya weathering pad to do the soot and rust, if you’ve made some model planes, the techniques are similar to weathering rc planes

66B32037-2407-4D8B-8492-28C8657D8A65.jpeg E96226CA-1B1D-4E48-85B2-EE1489C853EB.jpeg

Tench745

Master member
You can also grind up artist's pastels and use the dust like weathering powders. Works great on Adams foam.

mayan

Legendary member
So much great ideas. Quick question will the pencil also show up if the plane was painted in a color different than white?

Tench745

Master member
So much great ideas. Quick question will the pencil also show up if the plane was painted in a color different than white?
Pencil will still show up, but it won't be quite as obvious as it would be on white. Not unlike actual grime on painted aircraft.

luvmy40

Elite member
Another trick I used in the way back of my scale modeling youth was to make a gray or black wash with your paint. Apply a drop where a leak or seep might originate then use your air brush or canned air to blow it back as if the plane was in flight. Dry brushing carbon powder or graphite was the best for exhaust residue, as already stated.