“Cardboard” drones in Ukraine

Foamforce

What do others think of that design? It looks like a flying wing with a giant rudder. Seems like it would be kind of difficult to control the pitch with the very short coupling? The “military grade” gyro probably overcomes that. The wing has a lot more folds than a FT wing. Possibly a removable nose cap to load the cargo and battery. It’s interesting that they pulled the battery connection outside. Maybe the thought is so that they can run it around until the battery is dead and then charge it without having to remove the battery?

And did they use the FT foam board? 😀

Xamith

They keep saying cardboard on articles and videos but it sure looks like FT foam board.

Piotrsko

Master member
Could be either BUT the edges on the rudder don't look like Foam Board here in 'Murica.... doubt the rudder is actually big enough to make it keep pointing straight, but that's actually optional on a plank wing
Pitch control on a flying wing is a function of CG, wing profile and elevon power. Easy peasey. Since the elevons look small, I suspect it is a low pitching airfoil

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
They keep saying cardboard on articles and videos but it sure looks like FT foam board.
As far as I can tell, it's definitely foam board.
1678204957493.png

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
There are plenty of RC "combat" planes out there with a similar type of profile. Take a look at the World BAT, King Kombat, and Combat Gremlin. This is a typical plank wing, elevon design. Can't tell for sure from the video, but it does not appear to have a functional rudder. Most of the RC combat planes that I have seen do not have a functional rudder either, just a vertical stabilizer. They fly and maneuver quite well.

skymaster

Elite member
if that is the design of that company, i think they are targeting people like us. and some one is going to send them a design or money to make something better. it's just advertising asking some to help.

danskis

Master member
I could see it being easy to fly line of sight but I can't imagine a plank being stable enough without a gyro when its not flying line of sight.

Foamforce

I could see it being easy to fly line of sight but I can't imagine a plank being stable enough without a gyro when its not flying line of sight.

Well, they said it has “Military Grade guidance systems” and it doesn’t appear to have a camera. iNav? For deliveries that would make a lot of sense. The Russians can apparently hack most drove control systems, so it would have to be entirely autonomous. They probably only showed us the cargo version, which explains the lack of the camera.