Elder 60 Restoration

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Thanks. Maybe it isn't a virus as I was suspecting but maybe a glitch in this iPad. So strange.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I dont and have not seen that anywhere yet Jim. Are you using different settings from default for this site for any reason maybe?

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
It was an iPad from work so someone might have changed something. I will see if I can fix it but at least I can rest assured there isn't a virus propagating itself in our forum.
Every other machine I'm on doesn't show that artifact but wow, on that iPad those pix are all over the place and it looks very random.
Thanks for responding.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Thanks everyone. The artifact is gone even from the machine it was appearing on. I suspected something goofy which was why I wanted other perspectives before freaking out.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
It's been a minute - time for an update!

I finally got her out to the field today, and went over her with a couple seasoned pilots who have experience building Proctor kits. We concluded that she isn't a Proctor - the internal framing structure is all wrong. Overall she's got most of the design elements of a Topflite Elder 40 but it's bigger. And a lot of the interior panels look like they were either plans or kit built. So I've decided to name her the Elder 60 :D

One of the club members helped me double check the setup and get the throws looking reasonable.

And she flew!! Twice!! Both really smooth flights - very responsive in the air and easy to keep track of. No bad habits I've found yet - but I only have one flight pack and there isn't any charging at this field. Time to buy some more batteries! :D

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well done Jonathan. That flew flawlessly to me. Nice smooth maneuvers on a maiden, slow low pass straight n level, slid in nicely for the landing. Snoopy even had a bigger grin after that one!!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Stopping the video 5 seconds before landing? Boo! :) Congrats on the successful flights, and welcome to the addiction of big birds!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks guys! And the video does run all the way to taxi in after the landing - perhaps youtube just chopped you off if it was in the middle of doing it's stabilization edit?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Congrats! She looks great in the air. Apart from the tease of not seeing her actually land I really like the vid - the colors are intense.

Sounded like you had a constant stream of good advice.

DamoRC

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Yeah - I don't know why youtube chopped off the end after it did the stabilization.

I'm going to make a new clip just of the landing and upload it separately so ya'll can see how it's done :p

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I learned my first three uploaads on you tube. when it says your video is shaky do you want us to fix that REALLY means your video moves and we are too dumb to know what is supposepd to move and what is not. Do you want us to hack out all the parts we think should not be moving.

NEVER let you tube "fix" yer stuff. If you rip your video and it looks good on play back on your machine thru media player it will be more then fine.

Namactual

Elite member
Man, where do you guys get all of this hanger space?:unsure:
That's one nice looking airplane you got there rocky. It looks like a great flyer too.(y)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks! Don't worry Carl - the Lorton event went so well that we're going to be doing a Lorton Open House event monthly through the rest of the summer :D

And yeah, hangar space is a big challenge. I really need to sell some off this summer to make room for more building projects. Anybody want a rough-around-the-edges Albatross for local pickup? I was planning to keep her until after the club's biplane contest this summer, but I've got a Baby Blender kit I want to put together and need the space to hang it :)