Elder 60 Restoration

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Swap meets are your friend when it comes to big birds. Everything from airframes to engines to electronics at bargain prices. My favorite swap meet score so far is a Balsa USA 1/4 scale Cub, that came complete with a Zenoah 23cc gas engine, all servos, completely covered and needing only minor work (new landing gear wires, new gas tank and lines, new battery, and new receiver). I paid $100 and put maybe $50 additional into it to get it in the air.

There is a swap meet near Green Bay this weekend and I'm hoping to find a couple glow engines. I've got another 1/4 scale Cub that needs an engine, so something around .90 to 1.0 should work well. I'm also looking for a .75-ish size for a Great Planes F-4 Phantom that I got after it was about 60% built. Glow engines are getting very common as well since electric and gas are so popular.

That's quite a deal! I picked up Zenoah 38cc at the AMA Expo for $60. Looks really good except for a tubing repair on the carb.

Good luck with your big project Rockyboy.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Still waiting on the 2-56 die to thread and finish the control rods on the flat wing.

But I tried to install that flat wing and discovered it had never been mounted on this plane before - it's about 1.5" too wide in the chord to sit in the saddle! So that will need some surgery, but after I get it flying.

So I put the dihedral wing on, added some battery bracing, straps, and protection pieces, and stuffed the nose with two 6s2700 batteries wired together to act as a 6s5400.

Then as Pysborg says, I put her in "traction" for balancing.

20180113_235442-1024x576.jpg

And the CG is perfectly on the spar!! No extra weight needed!! And once I get some fresh batteries for the scale I'll get a final all up weight and figure out the wing loading and thrust to weight ratios to make a final prop selection. But the wooded 16x8 looks really nice :)

Also, check out that bright orange repair patch - it's on the top of the wing only, and will help with orientation for sure!

So she's pretty much ready to head to the field for a maiden flight when the weather and schedules line up right.

And I need to get her packed out of the workshop so I can get back to the FW-42 monster since my new foam adhesives arrived to laminate the layers together...

Last edited:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
This step into the big stuff has been fun so far - and affordable by picking up used stuff that needs work. I think by the time I'm done I'll only have about $200 into this airframe and electronics to get it in the air.

So come on in! The water's fine! :)

yeah but I don't have any swim trunks
in other words I have absolutely no spot to store something this big, and if you see in the videos were I fly..........

and your build is coming along great!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
yeah but I don't have any swim trunks
in other words I have absolutely no spot to store something this big, and if you see in the videos were I fly..........
and your build is coming along great!

Thanks! Yeah, storage is a challenge for sure. This pretty well fills my shop when I'm trying to work on it, and I've run out of closets in the house I can sneak a wing into :)

And here's the fiercest of pilots, ready for action!

20180115_104659_HDR-1024x576.jpg

Total airframe with everything except a full load of electrons comes in a 12.3 pounds. So with the nice wooden 16x8 prop and a 6s battery I will be running on 12.2 pounds of thrust. Just about perfect to have plenty of power on tap but make sure I don't get into too much trouble. Probably. :black_eyed:

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Space is a big concern with these big planes! Also, the bigger the plane, the harder it is to sneak it into the house! I made sure to tell my wife that the latest new plane in the basement workshop is NOT mine, I'm just working on it for a friend. Telling her that distracted her from the P-47 I added to the fleet a couple days earlier that she may not know about yet. She muttered something the other day about me "needing help", so maybe she was offering assistance in building a rack for the wings?

epsilon

Space is a big concern with these big planes! Also, the bigger the plane, the harder it is to sneak it into the house! I made sure to tell my wife that the latest new plane in the basement workshop is NOT mine, I'm just working on it for a friend. Telling her that distracted her from the P-47 I added to the fleet a couple days earlier that she may not know about yet. She muttered something the other day about me "needing help", so maybe she was offering assistance in building a rack for the wings?

Lol, keep telling yourself that's what she meant by her comment! :p

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Of course she meant helping with storage racks! Positive of that. :p

I'm also starting to think about building a cowl - something like this shape perhaps... but after maiden flight. Need to stop putting more time into this until she flies.

topa0215-18b.jpg

Tench745

Master member
If this is an antic, whoever built it must've been trying to duplicate some specific historical aircraft. I don't see any other reason they would've changed the cross bracing in the fuselage or the shape of the elevator (and rudder by relation.) I love watching these restoration threads. Keep it up Rockyboy.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
If this is an antic, whoever built it must've been trying to duplicate some specific historical aircraft. I don't see any other reason they would've changed the cross bracing in the fuselage or the shape of the elevator (and rudder by relation.) I love watching these restoration threads. Keep it up Rockyboy.

I spent a while looking through the Antic pictures and am pretty sure it's the Antic mono wing - the wing saddle and turtle deck match, as does the fuselage shape, and those are sort of difficult to mod foundational parts of the airframe.

The cross bracing is glued in all willy-nilly without any specific attention to being symetrical - which drives me a bit nuts honestly. :black_eyed: very rarely is the spacing identical from one side to the other, and the top and bottom aren't even trying to be the same pattern.

I did see a couple pictures with different empanage shapes in the Antic photo archives, including a couple with the same cutouts for movement clearance but different outer edges - but very little info on what craft they were being modeled on.

I think I've found the cowling look I want to build on this too - assuming it flies well and I want to keep it.

skessinger065w.jpg

Haven't seen any head-on shots of this one, but I like the look and think I can replicate it with small cardboard tubes, balsa bits, and wires for the engine rather than complicated 3D modeling and printing.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So how much you gonna charge the parents at FFE to take the kiddies up in this?

Gotta recoup the hobby money some how right?

I think there's better money to be made in charging them for either the kiddies safe return, or drop off a long ways away :p

And I wish I had the room to bring this to Flite Fest. Need to either rent or get a buddy with a trailer though. This pretty much fills up my car by itself.

Tench745

Master member
I think I've found the cowling look I want to build on this too - assuming it flies well and I want to keep it.

View attachment 100605

Haven't seen any head-on shots of this one, but I like the look and think I can replicate it with small cardboard tubes, balsa bits, and wires for the engine rather than complicated 3D modeling and printing.

That engine looks like a Curtiss OX-5 and the louvered side panels like those on the side of a Jenny's cowl.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Congratulations Rockyboy. $120 for all of that sounds like a steal of a deal.

On another note I keep seeing a photo in the signature area and I'm suspecting some sort of bug or virus or something. Could someone please respond back and tell me if they see in Post #21 of this thread the following pic of a green 3D printed object?
image.png

I see the same pic mixed in with Rockyboy's 1st post of this thread and I thought I saw the same pic in a response to me in another thread. Please could anyone just confirm or deny they see what I see in post #21 of this thread and also check if you also see it in post #1 of this thread. Thank you.