10 Degree Motor Mounts - Mini Quad

kah00na

What do you guys think of mounting your motors with a 10 degree forward angle? I saw these on thingiverse:

IMG_20140425_195654_preview_featured.jpg
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:282606

Since most miniquads flown via FPV are always moving forward, angling the motors forward would give you forward momentum and the horizon would still be near the middle of the screen so you could see a little better. Maybe if you weren't planning on doing a lot of hovering and mostly forward flying this would be a good option. You'd really have to pull back a lot to slow down.

Mustang7302

You're also sacrificing trust for hover being overall less efficient. If you use a GPS hold feature, then the craft is working even harder to park in the air.

I put a servo on my FPV camera which has a mix with my pitch input. As I pitch forward, the camera pitches up just enough to keep the horizon in the top half of my view. Works like a champ.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I would think if all the mounts are tilted in the same direction and at the same angle, the result would simply be a tilted frame while in a hover. However, the result would allow flat plate type booms like the one shown, to slice thru the air a bit better at the speed required to match the tilt. But as soon a the MR yawed out of the direction of tilt, an abrupt drag would result, possibly causing all sorts of odd behavior, not to mention the FCB trying to interpret thrust forces not in the same plane.

tilt.jpg

kah00na

I would think if all the mounts are tilted in the same direction and at the same angle, the result would simply be a tilted frame while in a hover. However, the result would allow flat plate type booms like the one shown, to slice thru the air a bit better at the speed required to match the tilt. But as soon a the MR yawed out of the direction of tilt, an abrupt drag would result, possibly causing all sorts of odd behavior, not to mention the FCB trying to interpret thrust forces not in the same plane.

I had to read this three times to understand it.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
The simple option is to tilt the camera up about 20+ Degrees. Just simply hovering a mini quad should be punishable by death. :). They are meant for racing. Hopefully in the next day or so I can finish my BO Mini H build log and show some race footage from Sunday. Been too busy at work to do so.

Trimax

I have a frame ive been working on and hope to cut with in the next few weeks with inverted tilted in motors
18.5deg but the motors are facing inward opposing each other
not sure if it will fly but FT seems to think it will
dragonfly.jpg

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
The commercial grade octocopters used as camera platforms have tilted in motors like that. It helps with stability in descents although it is less efficient and performance is decreased. That's not an issue though for a large octo that just hovers all day.