"$85 to Ship a $15 battery" Preposterous

Jnr Kuzi

hey guys.
Is this how hobbyking operates?
I was trying to purchase a Rhino 3s 3000mah battery pack which costs 14.95USD and then when i went to check out, it said.
Total = 99.95 USD
with one shipping option only.
"note - its the only thing in my cart"
This is way too expensive.
how and where do you guys get your batteries from?

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
In your case it might be a good idea to look in www.banggood.com as they have free delivery to most countries although their range of batteries to choose from is very limited

joshuabardwell

Mentor
What warehouse did you order from? If you're in the U.S. and accidentally selected a foreign warehouse, that would explain the problem.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Sadly that sounds about right. International shipping is a killer. If I get a "flat rate box" for what I'm sending you, it's going to cost me around $60 USD.

Your best bet may have to be to go with Hobby King, but make one large order of multiple batteries. The shipping is likely to be $85 whether you order one battery or five batteries. The more you order the cheaper each battery ends up being.

I know it's out of your price range, but hopefully you can save up or get some more donations.

Because it's so hard for you to get batteries, definitely invest in a low voltage alarm. There is going to be nothing worse than prematurely killing a battery that you barely have access to.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Ahh. I just noticed your location. Yeah--sorry to say that you have very few options. LiPo batteries cannot be shipped by air, so there is basically only one international shipping option for them: boat. If you have a local source, you are almost certainly better off. Or make a huge order and eat the shipping.

EDIT: See tritium's comment below.

Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
LiPo batteries cannot be shipped by Commercial Passenger Airlines. They can travel by UPS / FEDEX / other air cargo carriers thus the high cost.

Thurmond

Jnr Kuzi

Donations Or Bus i guess

Sadly that sounds about right. International shipping is a killer. If I get a "flat rate box" for what I'm sending you, it's going to cost me around $60 USD.

Your best bet may have to be to go with Hobby King, but make one large order of multiple batteries. The shipping is likely to be $85 whether you order one battery or five batteries. The more you order the cheaper each battery ends up being.

I know it's out of your price range, but hopefully you can save up or get some more donations.

Because it's so hard for you to get batteries, definitely invest in a low voltage alarm. There is going to be nothing worse than prematurely killing a battery that you barely have access to.

i guess, i will have to go for donations or ask someone in south africa to buy me a few and send them over by bus.

Jnr Kuzi

LiPo batteries cannot be shipped by Commercial Passenger Airlines. They can travel by UPS / FEDEX / other air cargo carriers thus the high cost.

Thurmond

i see, so i guessl i will just have to find them locally or in my region on africa. Hopefully i will find them.

Jnr Kuzi

Ahh. I just noticed your location. Yeah--sorry to say that you have very few options. LiPo batteries cannot be shipped by air, so there is basically only one international shipping option for them: boat. If you have a local source, you are almost certainly better off. Or make a huge order and eat the shipping.

EDIT: See tritium's comment below.

thanks for the reference. Both points are helpful

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
I posted in your other thread as well. How about NiMH batteries? Yes, low power, but: easier to get and probably sufficient for a beginner!

Jnr Kuzi

This place looks like they have a few turnigy 3S and 4S lipo batteries in stock:

http://hobbytech.co.za/

They are located in South Africa (Durban), so maybe the shipping won't be as bad.

hobbytech does not ship outside souithafrica. I have 2 aunts there (in durban and Jo'burg)
so maybe i will try to get the battery through them.
Thanks for the reference.