• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Help! 150 Commuter aileron problems

#1
This is my first RC aircraft build and all seemed to be going very well until I arrived at doing my final electronics pre-flite inspection. I bought the whole pkg. from FT including power Pkg. etc. Radio is a new Spektrum "8" channel radio. Receiver is a new Spektrum 4 channel. Binding was easy. Testing each servo on the bench went perfectly the last test of my ailerons - connected by supplied "Y' harness. 1 of the 2 servos is working perfectly the other worked sporadically for a while. On & off, then not at all. Moving the wires affected the performance of both servos in some inconsistent way which creates my mystery and the reason for my post. I thought I was very ainal when hooking them up but it appears I have a loose connection inside the wing i.e. the moving of wires result. Before I cut the wing open to inspect the connection is it possible I'm getting some kind of interference from the close proximity of the battery, receiver, ESC etc.??? I've moved the around to be as far apart as possible. Does the transmitter need to be a certain minimum distance away from the receiver, ESC, servos?? I'm guessing here and need some guidance. I feel stupid having to ask this question but here I am. Thanks in advance.
 

Merv

Well-known member
#8
If the Y harness is the problem, it may be repairable. The Y harness is nothing more than an extra servo end solder on an extension. Remove the heat shrink and see if one of the wires is not connected.
 
#9
If the Y harness is the problem, it may be repairable. The Y harness is nothing more than an extra servo end solder on an extension. Remove the heat shrink and see if one of the wires is not connected.
Thank you, that's a great thought. Will definitely do. First I will check all wires for continuity with my meter. Thanks again to all.
 

Bricks

Well-known member
#10
If you have to pull the servos and hot glued them in use some alcohol on the hot glue to loosen the servos, tie a string on the receiver end and pull the wires thru from the servo side. Reverse to reinstall, this way may not have to cut the wing open.
 
#11
If you have to pull the servos and hot glued them in use some alcohol on the hot glue to loosen the servos, tie a string on the receiver end and pull the wires thru from the servo side. Reverse to reinstall, this way may not have to cut the wing open.
That's a great tip using alcohol. I had no idea it would loosen the hot glue. I'll add that to my knowledge base. Thanks so much.
 
#13
Do not forget it is rubbing alcohol it would be sad to see real alcohol go to such waste. :love::love::love:
OMG you're right and I did use the rubbing type.upon investigation I found that the servo connect came loose even with a drop of hot glue. I rec connected it and everything is good to go. Unfortunately I had already cut a small hole in the wing so that was repaired as well. A few small finishing touches and I'm good to go. This 150 commuter is so small it's difficult to position the battery so it's easy to unplug, remove for charging. The mounting plate I built for the wing that allows for easy removal is working out great and makes working inside the plane easier. Thanks everyone for your advice and help.
 

The Hangar

Well-known member
#15
OMG you're right and I did use the rubbing type.upon investigation I found that the servo connect came loose even with a drop of hot glue. I rec connected it and everything is good to go. Unfortunately I had already cut a small hole in the wing so that was repaired as well. A few small finishing touches and I'm good to go. This 150 commuter is so small it's difficult to position the battery so it's easy to unplug, remove for charging. The mounting plate I built for the wing that allows for easy removal is working out great and makes working inside the plane easier. Thanks everyone for your advice and help.
Glad you got it figured out! This how I did my wing to get easy access. I also used it to put my battery in.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...eable-wing-mod-for-top-loading-battery.60214/