3 pack nutball - pushrod adjustment

Just got the electronics today for the 3 pack. I basically followed the instructions and watched Flite Test electronics and power pod build for some guidance. Binding to my transmitter(DX4E)was pretty easy; just took 2 times with a Power Up receiver. After watching the nutball build video a few times, it looks like Josh is using a clevis connector on the servo for the pushrod. I have the Tower Pro 9g servos from Head's Up hobby - it just has a control horn. So it looks like I'll need to create a z bend. So I'm starting to see why Josh sort of blew threw this part on the video. As it comes with the kit the pushrod is probably 3 or 4 inches longer than it needs to be so obviously need to trim. Are there any tips on cutting the correct length? Obviously there's not much room for error here; if I cut it too short will need to get a new rod. Also don't have a set of z bend pliers. Any tips would be appreciated. Seems like pushrod crafting is the trickiest part I have run into on this build. I think I'll go to Home Depot and get some landscaping flags, watch a few videos on pushrod creation, and practice up. I'm not sure why they didn't create a push rod with 2 zbends; if someone had a clevis connection they could trim the end.

Last edited:

Bacon8tor

have you glued the servos in yet? I am no expert still waiting to get my electronics. but if the servos are not glued yet i would put the rod through the servo then place the servo against the fuselage at about the same distance give your self some slack and cut it after and mark where your z bend needs to start . . . if the servo and control horn is already glued... im not sure

I figured out the best method. I guy at my flying field gave me some linkage stoppers. They are the same ones that FT sells here:

https://store.flitetest.com/linkage-stoppers-6-pack/

As the guy told me, using a 2nd z-bend will prevent you from being able to adjust the pushrod. I really wish Flite test would include linkage stoppers with the kit. Most of the servos that you find at places like Hobbyking will not come with these. Anyhow, I had to use a small drill bit to increase the size of the hole, but was able to connect the pushrods. Going to make sure they are centered tonight.

Bacon8tor

I figured out the best method. I guy at my flying field gave me some linkage stoppers. They are the same ones that FT sells here:

https://store.flitetest.com/linkage-stoppers-6-pack/

As the guy told me, using a 2nd z-bend will prevent you from being able to adjust the pushrod. I really wish Flite test would include linkage stoppers with the kit. Most of the servos that you find at places like Hobbyking will not come with these. Anyhow, I had to use a small drill bit to increase the size of the hole, but was able to connect the pushrods. Going to make sure they are centered tonight.

Yes I have not had to tackle this problem yet, as someone in town gave me some and some servos to get me started. I plan on buying some from hobbyking they are very inexspensive Linkage Stoppers on HK 1.59 for a 10 pack. . . i will probably get a couple packs with my next order. thanks for updating. .

Yes I have not had to tackle this problem yet, as someone in town gave me some and some servos to get me started. I plan on buying some from hobbyking they are very inexspensive Linkage Stoppers on HK 1.59 for a 10 pack. . . i will probably get a couple packs with my next order. thanks for updating. .

Wow, 1.59 for 10. That's a very good price. Those are essential to a stress free pushrod installation unless you want to use the method they use on the Horizon micros where they use shrink tube to connect the end piece of the push rod(very inefficient). The more I build the Flite Test stuff the more I am appreciating the engineering techniques.