1S / whoop battery management system - do they exist?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
It still does not balance charge as the original poster was asking about, when hooked into parallel you cannot balance a 1S battery it is either charged or some where in between. You could use this with his particular charger MAY be able to put the 1S batteries into storage charge With my charge I can set the percentage of charge I want which in essence can do storage charge of 1S cells. But they will not be balanced as I stated earlier you cannot balance a 1S battery as there is only one cell, so what would you balance it against?.
well... either we are talking past each other.... you keep talking about a parallel charging board, that is a serial charging "board". Or there is some communication issue.

Either way, what I am looking for doesn't seem to exist currently and unless the charger does balanced storage, there isn't a way to trick it to work using a series board and a parallel board has issues if you connect batteries that are significantly different in charge levels.

Maybe I need to look up the circuit designs for this and see if I can come up with something that can do both (storage and charge) for these batteries.

That said I have seen this: https://www.tinywhoop.com/collections/batteries/products/tiny-whoop-1s-discharger-pw-jst2-0-battery but was looking for a charger that does that and charges the cells and has multiple ports.

maybe the solution is just a few of those... charge, then run on that until at storage. but it would be more useful to just have a charger that you can switch between storage and charge and it will automatically get the battery to the correct voltage.

Bricks

Master member
Does your charger have a discharge function? Can you set your percentage of charge?

Your working with a 1 cell low MAH battery plugging into a board with different state of charge is a non issue, Even larger batteries as long as the main connector is plugged in first and let them sit awhile it is a non issue it takes a while for the batteries to equalize out, it`s not zap and they are equal. Joshua Bardwell did a great Youtube video debunking much of what is said about plugging in different batteries at different voltage levels but same cell count.

JasonK

Does your charger have a discharge function? Can you set your percentage of charge?

Your working with a 1 cell low MAH battery plugging into a board with different state of charge is a non issue, Even larger batteries as long as the main connector is plugged in first and let them sit awhile it is a non issue it takes a while for the batteries to equalize out, it`s not zap and they are equal. Joshua Bardwell did a great Youtube video debunking much of what is said about plugging in different batteries at different voltage levels but same cell count.

when you plug in batteries at different voltages they _will_ balance to each other... however they may do so at faster then 1-2C and that is where the problem with plugging in batteries with big differences of voltages in parallel with each other runs into issues.

We don't charge at 20C... batteries prefer being charged at 1, maybe 2 c.. when you just connect to batteries together... the balance at what ever C rating the internal resistances limits it to... which is very likely to be higher then the 1-2 C rating that is preferable for balancing.

So unless, I am miss understanding how fast charging impacts the life span of the battery, a big voltage differance is going to damage battery life faster then doing them individually... or only parrellel charging them when they are all ready very close to similar charge levels.

bisco

Elite member
i can't answer the balance question, but as for storage charge, when i get back from the field with 1s batteries, i check the voltage. if they are below 3.7, i put them on the usb and check them every few minutes while i work on something else.
if they are above 3.7, i put them in the airplane and turn the throttle on low. it only takes a few minutes to run through 4 or 5 batteries to get them to storage state.

JasonK

i can't answer the balance question, but as for storage charge, when i get back from the field with 1s batteries, i check the voltage. if they are below 3.7, i put them on the usb and check them every few minutes while i work on something else.
if they are above 3.7, i put them in the airplane and turn the throttle on low. it only takes a few minutes to run through 4 or 5 batteries to get them to storage state.

yah, that is a whole lot of manual work if you have 10+ batteries.

JasonK

agreed. it is odd that no one seems to make a smart charger for 1s, or some sort of adapter

well, I could connect the battery to my smart charger (with an appropriate connector... however I would like to have more then 2 ports with 10 batteries to deal with).

bisco

Elite member
i see stuff on the net that will do 6 batteries adapted to banana plugs. not sure how they work, or if they do what you want.
a lot of people seem to make their own due to lack of products

JasonK

i see stuff on the net that will do 6 batteries adapted to banana plugs. not sure how they work, or if they do what you want.
a lot of people seem to make their own due to lack of products
that is probably a parallel charging board... which can help, but if your cells are miss-matched to much in charge, then at least one of them is going to be getting charged at greater then 1-2C, which isn't great for it. it is a solution that is helpful, just not ideal.

bisco

Elite member
that is probably a parallel charging board... which can help, but if your cells are miss-matched to much in charge, then at least one of them is going to be getting charged at greater then 1-2C, which isn't great for it. it is a solution that is helpful, just not ideal.
take a look at babblebatts.com, or over in rcgroups. roger shows a charger/balancer for up to 10 1s batteries.
i wonder if the 'balancer' discharge to storage?

JasonK

take a look at babblebatts.com, or over in rcgroups. roger shows a charger/balancer for up to 10 1s batteries.
i wonder if the 'balancer' discharge to storage?
yah, looks like those are cables to hook up multiple batteries to a 'normal' charger. which is one of the things we talked about above.