20" One Sheet Wing - Delta wing Scratch build and maiden

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
A few months back i purchased a Hobbyking Bonsai flying wing and set it up as a gift for my friend. Of course i had to "test fly" it. Which i ended up doing almost every lunch for a couple weeks until i was able to give it to my friend.

Realizing that i really missed having a small flying wing i decided to try my hand at one of the OSW's. I loaded up a couple delta wing CG calculators and started playing around with numbers. I already knew that i wanted it to be exactly the same width as the foamboard, so the wing span was 20". I also really like how Alex Grieves planes usually have the wing spar right around the cg so i wanted the kfm step to "step down" right around cg to make this easy to find in the field. Also, as everyone knows that flys wings, CG is a real pain so i wanted the cg to not be forward at all if i could help it. Partly this was solved by the design of the wing and partly by cutting the motor forward into the wing.

Here are the numbers that i came up with in the calculator. I didn't have to adjust any of this to make it fly.

Main Wing:
  • Wingspan: 20"
  • Root Chord: 8"
  • Tip Chord: 4"
  • Sweep distance: 6"
  • CG: 3.91"
  • Sweep distance from trailing edge of wing tips to trailing edge of body: 2"

Kfm4 Steps (one on top and bottom)
  • Root chord: 4"
  • Tip Chord: 2"
  • sweep dist: 6"

I found an online graph paper program to map out how much of the sheet it would take:

20150720_112240.jpg

Flying weight: 162
Cubic Wing loading: 7.5

Electronics:

Construction was to hot glue all 3 sheets together and cut a bevel on leading edge. Than i smeared hot glue to the leading edge add some strength, much like flitetest does for the hot glue hinges.

Maiden went well. Knowing that little planes are twitchy as all heck i had already dialed the throws way down. The maiden flight is very short mainly because it is getting dark and both sides of the plane are white. I was losing orientation quick. Assuming i get the same flight times as i was on the bonsai (same parts) i expect 5 minutes or so. Cg was right where the half step meets the full wing.

Maiden flight and Pics:

20150720_193542.jpg 20150720_200309.jpg 20150720_200319.jpg 20150721_183949.jpg 20150721_183958.jpg 20150721_195310.jpg 20150721_195352.jpg 20150721_195357.jpg 20150721_195404.jpg 20150721_195410.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
Actually thats a 10a esc.
Motor "mount" is two popsicle sticks hot glued to the foamboard.
And yes, I could probably have saved a ton of weight by using smaller servos and cleaning up wires.

My person feelings on the flight were that it flew really well and "on rails".

thenated0g

Mentor
Heres a quick pdf i made in inkscape. Note that i haven't printed these out before. But i also have never had a problem with measurements coming out wrong either. Just fyi.

View attachment osw 20 cut file.pdf

• Width of wing should be 20".
  • Cg is marked by the blue line, but like i said above i put my fingers on each side of the top step right where it steps up from the main body.
  • The red is what i cut out for my setup of a 5" prop. I just cut a few square pieces to make a motor mount. Crashtesthobbies style.

If you want i can record a video with my reflex, throws, and movements.

bgfireguy92

yea nate if you dont mind just so that I have a starting point and can tweak it to my liking from there. Appreciate it.

thenated0g

Mentor
Just an update on this. I was able to fly this at our club in front of a bunch of people. Flies pretty great. Main issue is that it is so small it gets away from you really quick.

Croom

Freehand Scratch Builder
Lol I built something similar to this a few years ago. You did a much better job at it that I did! Good work!

thenated0g

Mentor
Lol I built something similar to this a few years ago. You did a much better job at it that I did! Good work!

Thanks man! A fellow club member let me borrow a book on RC plane design, after doing this, and now i realize that i really have no idea what im doing lol. Apparently i made some good guess's.

davereap

You didn't make good guesses , you chose one of a number of correct build methods, all KF wings being good performers, and more stable than wings with more normal shaped sections.....you used an online calculator and it all came right... so well done...
please do not take offence,....Just thought to let you know.... that your nice KFm4 wing, strictly speaking, is a "V" wing not a delta.... deltas being more triangular

V wing
P8120230-small.gif

delta
DSCN0827-small.gif

If anyone wants some more different plans both V and Delta..
there are some here.. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1122108

Last edited:

Kunphushun

Dude...WHAT!!! This would be an excellent plane to keep in the trunk with a couple batteries for those beautiful lunch hours. Excellent.

thenated0g

Mentor
thanks! I would say the one downfall of this is that it flies fast and is hard to see. Maybe a micro fpv setup.....