FT Versacopter V2

Stephen1

I have recently built the FT Versacopter V2. I used the "Better" E-Pack, the lumenier 4s 2250mah lipo, and the graupner radio that is used in the build video. These are all parts that are recommended by Flitetest. I have built the quad, but something is wrong. The motors become extremely hot, sometimes shoot out sparks, and give off an electrical smell. I'm pretty sure that there are no shorts, so I came here for a possible answer. Any thoughts?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sounds like you may have used the longer mounting screws and one or several have penetrated the motors winding area or if you are lucky they are merely scraping the motor bell which is why your lipo or esc's have not simply exploded yet.

Stephen1

I checked, and I am using the shorter, 2.5 mm screws. Will these screws also work with the red bottom motors?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have no idea bud. I am sure there was a warning on the build video as well as Josh specifically stating which screws to use with the recommended set up they have designed and tested. Anything outside those parameters would fall on you to take measurements and use the correct hardware to adapt any modifications.

That all said its easy enough to pull the screws out one at a time and look at them to see if they have damage. With arching and sparking it would be very obvious.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
I don't think they have done an update for the redbottoms. Best thing to do is to measure how far the screws go into the bottom of the motor and then factor in the mounting area. You probably have to trim them. So get a nut that fits the screws, put it on all the way to the top so you have something to hold onto and then trim the screw. When you back the nut off it will clean the threads where you trimmed and it will allow you to screw it back in.