200% Sea Duck Advice/tips (+ scaled plans!)

greatbobby91

Plans: http://docdro.id/Djk6wox

Hello!

Over the summer, I am planning on building a 112" wingspan sea plane with landing gear for land and water inspired by the FT sea duck with my gf

This is my first plane build, however i have built a 8 foot gas octocoper, custom scratch dune buggy, 7 ft RC racing catamaran and some other smaller things, but never a plane.

I'd obviously like to keep the cost low as possible

Here is the likely weight break down:

Foam: 40 sheets weighing around 110 grams each = 13lb

Aluminum for spars and glue combined weight = 4lb

Landing gear and retracts = 2.2 lb

ESCs, Servos, FPV, and general wires (no batteries) = 2lb

Margin of Error = +15 lb

So the dry weight without motors nor batteries is around 30 ish pounds.

I want to fly it really slow, so I'm thinking a .5-.8:1 thrust to weight ratio should suffice.

Therefore im guessing I'll need about 15-20 pounds of thrust, (due to their weight + batteries) and will since there are 2 motors, 8-12 lb of thrust each.

Is there any reason why a set up as such would not work?

I apologize if i've ignored any aspect as this is my first build, although I have built many other things non plane related in the past.

If anyone could recommend a motor/prop(3 blade)/battery that they really like, I would highly appreciate it!

Also any tips from experienced plane builders would be super helpful

Finally, if anyone else is planning a project over this summer of a similar scale, feel free to reach out!

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
So Bixler and his boys already did one at that size and they (or the guys involved in the build) might have more details. I saw it being built and saw it fly but don't know the details on the power setup or AUW.

You can see it here:

I'm sure more folks will chime in. We love big builds!

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
wow! i dont think you will use 40 sheets of foam board!! or 15 pounds of error! lol. how's it going, though? any progress so far?