500% ft ez glider

FastCrash45

Elite member
If I do make one I will probably throw it off my roof.
Yeah but you'll need a cherry picker to get you up there or you'll have to assemble once you're up there. I think you'll have MANY sheets of plans with 1 diagonal line through it. For sure you'll have to mark each page carefully. I think that would end up to be 50+ pages to piece together. It is for sure possible though. We'd all want pictures of that build!!

Headbang

Master member
To scale up that big you will need to do a lot design with balsa, ply, and maybe aluminium, or carbon fiber. Foam spars will not cut it with a wing that big. Lots to consider, big project. Sounds fun!

Casey

Here's an idea. Why don't you make a 200% first, and then a 300%, and keep going up by another multiple until you feel like it's too much.

Because my students are currently scratch-building EZ-Gliders, I just went and laid 5 fuselages end to end, and I think that might be bigger than you really realize :)

Reactions: FDS

quorneng

Master member
Trains1213_YT
Just remember the effect of scale.
A matchstick will support at least 20 times it own weight.
A 50 foot long wood beam of the same proportions will be hard put to just support its own weight.
The bigger you go the clever you have to be selecting materials and detail design.

Spacefarer

You could definitely make a long EZ of that size, but as quorneng said, you will most likely not be building based strictly off the plans. In fact, you might need to double up the foam or add an aerofoil for the wing at that scale. A single sheet wing will experience a lot of vibration and fluttering even with the thicker foam.

Trains1213_YT

You could definitely make a long EZ of that size, but as quorneng said, you will most likely not be building based strictly off the plans. In fact, you might need to double up the foam or add an aerofoil for the wing at that scale. A single sheet wing will experience a lot of vibration and fluttering even with the thicker foam.
I am trying to find the thickest foamboard I can find but Im not having much luck.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
when i did my 200% ft f22 i used 1/2 inch black foamboard from amazon. The pink panther foam is really rigid and you can get it in various thickness's.