6x4 prop VS 5x4.3x3 VS 5x6x3

Hello the greatest community of all time, I come here for your wisdom and insightful answers. ( admins apologies if i've posted this on the wrong page).
I've a tiny brushless motor 1806/2400kv (Chinese brand-less motor so it had no info anywhere) I used it on my tiny trainer(pusher modified) and ft tiny f22.
I used a 6x4 prop on 2 cell( maximum cell it can operate on - tried 3 cell once and white smoke came out of the motor, luckily no damage was done) and it provided enough thrust to keep the mighty tiny ft f22 in air at full throttle.
I was wondering what would happen if I change the prop.
I've the following two options. 5x4.3x3 and 5x6x3. how good would these two perform. and since these are quad copter props what difference would it make if I use a ccw or cw prop ( btw i don't know if 2 blade normal props are ccw or cw ).

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Towards the bottom of this page is a chart for props and battery sizes. The 6x4 is your most efficient for that motor out of your choices and I thing the 5x6x3 (never seen one that big pitch yet) would more then likely smoke that motor due to current draw to spin it.

https://store.flitetest.com/emax-motor-mt1806/

Taking a rough guess by the chart a 5x4.3x3 would give 250 -260 g of thrust at a reasonable efficiency without stressing the motor on 2s.

Take this with a grain of salt as that is an Emax motor not the no name like you have so that is uncharted territory and who knows what that can actually do without proper testing and measuring.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
you can use the 5x4x3 prop but be prepared for some prop stall until you get some speed up. i think the last time i did the calculation it wanted to be going almost 14 mph before it went away and you have full efficiency of the prop. depending upon aircraft weight, this can be a real issue especially if hand launching. the 6030 prop is by far the most efficient and still provided decent thrust. my favorite though is a 6045 with a 3S-350mah for that motor using a 12A ESC.

good luck,

jason ;)

I haven't tried it with a 3 cell again. I once hooked up the ESC with a 2200mah 25c 3 cell. I gave. it a slight throttle and smoke came out of the motor. didn't try a 3cell on it after wards. how can I check if it'll run on 3 cell?

Thats strange what motor are you running got a link?>

Im running a cheap hobbyking motor

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/be1806p...QYASABEgLdrvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&___store=en_us

its been great so far on my mini arrow with a 6x4 prop.

A watt meter is a handy thing to have as it will tell you if you have over propped a motor. Motors have a powe rrating that they can safely operate under. You use a watt meter to to show the real world power with the prop/motor/battery combo you are using, althoguh if your motor started to smoke under low throttle thats a different issue.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Did you test it on 3 cell with or without a prop? If without a prop, how long did you run it? Generally, motors don’t like to be run at wide open throttle without any load (like a prop)

I ordered both the props to see if my motor supports them. let's see how it goes.
still need to figure out if my motor will run on a 3 cell.