More durable prop recommendations / motor brake?

Gr8folded

Hey all,

I am wondering if there is a more durable, affordable CCW prop option out there aside from APC Slow Flyer props .

Two of my planes are set up as belly landers as some of the fields I fly in really aren't conducive to landing gear.
That said, despite having good landings with a nice flair at the end and a completely killed motor, I end up snapping a prop 1 or 2 times in every 15 or so flights. This understandable happens when the prop happens to stop in a vertical orientation. Every broken prop I've had has broken in the same exact area of the prop as well.

I've broken 4 props as a result in around 35-50 flights. Is that normal for belly landers?

I'm using APC 10 x 4.7 CCW slow flyer props. They seem very brittle and unforgiving.

I've read that setting up a motor brake on your ESC can reduce this, but having never used one, are you able to set the brake up so that it stops with the prop horizontal to the ground as opposed to vertical?

Are there nylon prop alternatives out there that anyone would recommend?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_1834.jpeg
    IMG_1834.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I use regular brand name props on my belly landers. Slow fly props are a bit on the weak side.
Regarding ESC break, there is no way that I know of to make the prop stop at a particular position. Is stops wherever is is when you apply it. That’s the reason I don’t use the ESC break. My props are free wheeling.

Gr8folded

I use regular brand name props on my belly landers. Slow fly props are a bit on the weak side.
Regarding ESC break, there is no way that I know of to make the prop stop at a particular position. Is stops wherever is is when you apply it. That’s the reason I don’t use the ESC break. My props are free wheeling.
Thanks Merv, appreciate it.

As I'm still learning, any brands you'd recommend? Do I have to use the a Slow Flyer type prop? I've read that the E or electric types are thinner.
I'm using a 2218 FT C pack motor. 1150 KV and 10" props.

Foamforce

Check out the Experimental Airlines video on the ESC brake. I tried it out and it seems to work for me. I rarely break a prop now. Clearly there’s debate about this, since Merv always disagrees, but it’s free to try. Good luck!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...As I'm still learning, any brands you'd recommend?...
I use whichever brand that is on sale at the time. All of them are good.
...Do I have to use the a Slow Flyer type prop?...
No.
I've read that the E or electric types are thinner.
Yes, they are. Just to be clear slow fly props are thinner than regular electric props. And electric props are thinner than a prop for a prop for a gasser. It’s Ok to use a gasser prop on an electric motor, but will pull harder and it may cause the motor to overheat. Never never use an electric prop on a gas or glow fuel engine. On a gasser the prop is used as a flywheel, the momentum of the prop is used to carry the engine through the compression stage. Electric props are not engineered for this and will blow apart.

Test any new prop size or type. On the ground, start with a 10 second run at full throttle, stop and check the temperatures by touching the motor, esc and battery. Warm is OK, but if it is so hot you can’t hold for a few seconds, STOP, that’s too hot, the prop is too large. If if passes, try a 30 second run, then a 60 second run. Then if it passes, go for a fly. Keep in mind that a prop that worked when it was 70F degrees may cause overheating when it’s 95F outside.

When you land it’s good practice to periodically check the temperatures.

Gr8folded

Check out the Experimental Airlines video on the ESC brake. I tried it out and it seems to work for me. I rarely break a prop now. Clearly there’s debate about this, since Merv always disagrees, but it’s free to try. Good luck!
Thanks Foamforce!

Gr8folded

I use whichever brand that is on sale at the time. All of them are good.

No.

Yes, they are. Just to be clear slow fly props are thinner than regular electric props. And electric props are thinner than a prop for a prop for a gasser. It’s Ok to use a gasser prop on an electric motor, but will pull harder and it may cause the motor to overheat. Never never use an electric prop on a gas or glow fuel engine. On a gasser the prop is used as a flywheel, the momentum of the prop is used to carry the engine through the compression stage. Electric props are not engineered for this and will blow apart.

Test any new prop size or type. On the ground, start with a 10 second run at full throttle, stop and check the temperatures by touching the motor, esc and battery. Warm is OK, but if it is so hot you can’t hold for a few seconds, STOP, that’s too hot, the prop is too large. If if passes, try a 30 second run, then a 60 second run. Then if it passes, go for a fly. Keep in mind that a prop that worked when it was 70F degrees may cause overheating when it’s 95F outside.

When you land it’s good practice to periodically check the temperatures.
Great info Merv, thanks! I'll try experimenting with some "E" props as well if they are less thin. Wasn't sure if I had to stick to slow fly only.
I know back in the day I used to fly a Parkzone P-51 and T-28 and it seemed like the material they used was more forgiving. Instead of a snapped prop it would bend. Could be Nylon vs a composite material.

Thanks again!