• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

737 FT Style

jpot1

I have been flying and building for about 4 years now and finally feel like I am ready to tackle this challenge after successfully building the A-10 with modified nacelles and ducts. I want to build a 737 that can be built relatively easily and not require any special plywood or 3D printed parts. As well I want to leverage two mini power pods with props for thrust. I know many purists will not like this but it worked really well for the A-10 for me and when its in the air you cannot even tell its not using EDF's.

Started drawing in sketchup from 3 views and took the approach that I have seen @DamoRC do so will with a score cut/gorilla glue approach. The current model has a 40" wingspan and length of ~38". I plan to use two F-pack equivalent motors and the battery will be determined by how much weight I need for CG. Targeting a 3S 1300 or 3S 2200 if possible for longer flight times.

Model starting point below. I have not added the fold-over wing as I can never get that modeled well in sketchup but the idea is for a three part fold over wing. I plan on using differential thrust so will use two servos for the elevators and two servos for the ailerons.

Wish me luck!
sketchup.jpg

jpot1

Prototype wing started. Definitely need to rework the spars. They will start at 10mm and decrease to 5mm with nothing towards the wingtip. Not sure there is enough chord. The rectangular section will be inside the fuse so it starts at 8” but tapers to 5” and then down to 2”. Think it will be enough wing area?

5EBC564C-CE71-4D4D-A318-7AC31724F82A.jpeg

Last edited:

whackflyer

I don’t know about the wing area issue, but I’ll definitely be watching this! What size of props are you thinking? To me it looks like with the wing sweep prop clearance could be an issue...

jpot1

V2 of the wing and I think things are looking good. Added 1/2” to the chord and changed the spar setup so it folded together much better. Not perfect but good enough for now. Thickness goes from 10mm at the root down to 5.

Next to start on the engine nacelle to see how it will fit and how to route the wires.

8152153E-F6F4-4660-B025-448A86D4AF93.jpeg

0B464B82-90D1-4F7C-84E8-ED7C66FA2AF1.jpeg

AC7215D7-8E42-4B7F-A678-2770951BA5C6.jpeg

CapnBry

I also don't know anything about aerodynamics, but that looks really sweet. What's the seat pitch going to be in your cabin? Probably even tighter than United Airlines I reckon.

jpot1

Nacelle test build. Definitely need to build some formers to get the shape right but I like how it came out. Problem though is not enough room for the esc and a standard size mini power pod. Not enough room in the wing for the esc and no air flow so I may either build the pod a little bigger or do a smaller pod.

DB906FCE-B6EE-4630-884A-CA7E42152A73.jpeg

Nacelle test build. Definitely need to build some formers to get the shape right but I like how it came out. Problem though is not enough room for the esc and a standard size mini power pod. Not enough room in the wing for the esc and no air flow so I may either build the pod a little bigger or do a smaller pod.

View attachment 132188
Why not do a custom pod or make it unswappable?

whackflyer

Do the aileron servo cutouts fit the standard blue 9g servos? I only have 2 6 grams and I really don't have any desire to buy more 5g ones and pay twice the price for them.