80% Old Speedster with Extras

kacknor

Build another!
I confess to a problem. I can’t seem to ‘just build it’. If it’s simple I complicate it. If easy, I find a way to make it more difficult. It does lead to learning stuff. I’ve been looking for a slow flyer and decided to scratch build an FT Old Speedster. Do I download the plans and just get to it? No. Not me. I choose to do an 80% build.

I took a few liberties with the design. It's has about half the dihedral of the original and I added a BBQ Skewer wing strut, ailerons and flaps. I am a little concerned that it will be unstable because of the dihedral, but figured with the ailerons it didn't need so much. Motor is a 24 gram hexTronik. Put a 8x4 prop on it and think it will fly fine on two or three cells, but I balanced it for a 1000 mAh 3c. Wingspan is about 28", length 24" weight isn't known. I've been spending on motors and ESCs, not scales. ;)

Hanging out next to a Mini-Sportster for scale.
20160114_104058.jpg

Showing the flap and aileron servos.
20160114_104200.jpg

It works!

I had to modify one of the flap servos to work in the mounting position by swapping wires internally. It's all good.

JD

jim_w

I confess to a problem. I can’t seem to ‘just build it’. If it’s simple I complicate it. If easy, I find a way to make it more difficult. It does lead to learning stuff. I’ve been looking for a slow flyer and decided to scratch build an FT Old Speedster. Do I download the plans and just get to it? No. Not me. I choose to do an 80% build.

I took a few liberties with the design. It's has about half the dihedral of the original and I added a BBQ Skewer wing strut, ailerons and flaps. I am a little concerned that it will be unstable because of the dihedral, but figured with the ailerons it didn't need so much. Motor is a 24 gram hexTronik. Put a 8x4 prop on it and think it will fly fine on two or three cells, but I balanced it for a 1000 mAh 3c. Wingspan is about 28", length 24" weight isn't known. I've been spending on motors and ESCs, not scales. ;)

Hanging out next to a Mini-Sportster for scale.
View attachment 61648

Showing the flap and aileron servos.
View attachment 61649

It works!

I had to modify one of the flap servos to work in the mounting position by swapping wires internally. It's all good.

JD

I bet it will fly as nice as it looks.:cool: Nice job!

kacknor

Build another!
It flies great! It dosen't like to go fast, as Speedsters do. It floats along with no issues. It drops a wing in turns when using only the rudder, ailerons are effective and enable smooth turns. I added a mix of about 5 degree elevator For flaps and there is very little effect on the flight when extending them. It just slows down and floats. Putting them up requires adding throttle or it will drop. I flew it with a 460 3 cell and tried it with a 500 2 cell. Flew good with both, but the 500 was a little light for CG. I didn't bring any, but I'm thinking a 1000 3 cell might be perfect. Lots of positive comments and compliments from other pilots at the Dome.

I'm sorry there is no video. I tried but I was once again outsmarted by the Mobius. Wish I'd spent the extra money and bought a GoPro. I can't seem to tell when the damn thing is recording or not. It is quickly becoming more frustrating than it's worth.

JD

Dreamwalker

Less than 250 Grams!
I wonder what would happen if you just used the flaps as "flapperons", and did away with the ailerons?
By mixing the rudder with ailerons and mixing the elevator with flaps, would it still fly the same?
I may have to build one and find out. :)

Good job on your build!

Tom G.

kacknor

Build another!
I wonder what would happen if you just used the flaps as "flapperons", and did away with the ailerons?
By mixing the rudder with ailerons and mixing the elevator with flaps, would it still fly the same?
I may have to build one and find out. :)

Good job on your build!

Tom G.

I did think about that as I was building. But there are a few flaperon aircraft in the hanger already and not many normal flap setups. Plus, there is the polyhedral to deal with. Choose one: Inboard or outboard. The surfaces move apart or together in relation to each other as they go down and up. I'm not sure if inboard ailerons would have much effect, or that outboard flaps wouldn't make it unstable. One could still use 4 servos, and just tie each side together with Y adapters. Will need a healthy V notch between the surfaces for clearance.

JD

Swanno

It flies great! It dosen't like to go fast, as Speedsters do. It floats along with no issues. It drops a wing in turns when using only the rudder, ailerons are effective and enable smooth turns. I added a mix of about 5 degree elevator For flaps and there is very little effect on the flight when extending them. It just slows down and floats. Putting them up requires adding throttle or it will drop. I flew it with a 460 3 cell and tried it with a 500 2 cell. Flew good with both, but the 500 was a little light for CG. I didn't bring any, but I'm thinking a 1000 3 cell might be perfect. Lots of positive comments and compliments from other pilots at the Dome.

I'm sorry there is no video. I tried but I was once again outsmarted by the Mobius. Wish I'd spent the extra money and bought a GoPro. I can't seem to tell when the damn thing is recording or not. It is quickly becoming more frustrating than it's worth.

JD

Love the plane, I'm still pretty new to the hobby and haven't messed around with flaps yet. I am building a Storch but it's a joint project with my Uncle and probably won't be completed for a few months. I will be able to play around with flaps then I guess.

I was contemplating getting a mobius because people are interested in the hobby and want to see what I have been doing but from your response I should just work a few extra hours and get a go pro instead.