A LINK TO MY build log of a multirotor camera platform

biggles

Cheers Johan, its even better now the third axis is done and I'm quite pleased with the results, have a look and see for yourself. For more info click on the link in the first post. Right, now for the octocopter

biggles

After doing alot of number crunching with prop, motor, and weight combinations, it seems after you add the extra weight and current draw of 2 motors and arms into the calculation, 6 motors are more efficient than 8 at least with the motor, prop combo I have chosen. The next decision to make was whether to go with 22mm carbon fiber tube or 19mm box section aluminium arms.
Now you would think it would be a no brainer with the CF tube weighing 40g and the drilled out aluminium 75g, but after you consider the CF arm needs 4 clips, 8 nuts and bolts and a CF motor mount and the aluminium only needs a ply motor mount and 3 nuts and bolts, there's only a 6g advantage to CF. If you then add in cost and possible radio interference issues of CF, then I think aluminium is the way to go
DSC00273.JPG

Johan

Cheers Johan, its even better now the third axis is done and I'm quite pleased with the results, have a look and see for yourself. For more info click on the link in the first post. Right, now for the octocopter

Wow Silky smooth !!!
Both modes have loads of applications.

I've done a bicycle ride a while back in Spain on vacation, with the "GoPro dangling on my ring finger mode".
And there was no way (Including Final Cut Pro's remove dominant motion) to get it stabilized to make it enjoyable.

Great job!!!

biggles

Wow Silky smooth !!!
Both modes have loads of applications.

I've done a bicycle ride a while back in Spain on vacation, with the "GoPro dangling on my ring finger mode".
And there was no way (Including Final Cut Pro's remove dominant motion) to get it stabilized to make it enjoyable.

Great job!!!
Thats uncanny that you should say that because I will be using it on a charity cycle ride event next year that is going through Holland and I will be using it to make a promo vid for that event in 3 weeks time

Johan

Oh, that is nice!, If you get near The Hague (where government resides, I live in Voorburg, right next to it), give me a shout!

I'm confident the promo turns out excellent!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Whoa! Wood props? Nice! I like the contrast between the high tech aircraft look of the drilled aluminum and the old school wood props. I've never flown on wood. They handle nicely?

biggles

landing legs are done. I have made them from 15mm carbon fibre tube and servoless retracts. The whole system weighs 302g, they sit perfectly underneath the arm and out of the thrust of the props so no lift is lost. They also poke just beyond the motors which means I can colour code them for orientation. I've fixed the retracts using 2 hockey stick shaped pieces of CF which creates 2 lugs for the legs to fold down and lock into so I'm not just relying on the hinged joint for stability
click here for more info

biggles

I've done around a dozen or so 10 minute flights now and each time I recharge the batteries I am putting around 6100 - 6300 mah back in to a 10000mah battery pack so that is an average of 620mah / minute. If I then extrapolate that to the maximum 80% battery capacity, that gives me a theoretical flight time of 12min 54secs which would leave me the reccomended 20% of the batteries capacity. So after predicting a 12min flight time, I'm feeling quite smug!
I'll set my timer to 10 mins as I don't like to thrash my batteries. I haven't attached the gimbal yet as I'm still tuning but when I have I will post a vid