Is anyone still using a tricoper?

sharde26

Hi Flite Folks :)

I've been out of the hobby for a bit, but am finally in a position to start exploring it again :) My last "main" multirotor was an Electrohub tricopter running on an APM2.6 with Arducopter with a Tough Tilt tail. I know tricopters have all but vanished due to technological enhancements, but is anyone flying/building them anymore? I guess it'd be like talking with other people still driving a Ford Model-T nowadays :)

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Hi Flite Folks :)

I've been out of the hobby for a bit, but am finally in a position to start exploring it again :) My last "main" multirotor was an Electrohub tricopter running on an APM2.6 with Arducopter with a Tough Tilt tail. I know tricopters have all but vanished due to technological enhancements, but is anyone flying/building them anymore? I guess it'd be like talking with other people still driving a Ford Model-T nowadays :)
I think you have sized up the situation well. People do still fly them but they are as rare as hens teeth.
It's never bothered me to be the odd man out, if this is what you like make or buy one and fly.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have a rather large fleet of tricopters that I still dabble with. I have been debating turning one or more into a Y-4. Most are RCExplorer variants with 3D printed tail mechanisms. 3 have F3 based flight controllers, and 3 are F4 based flight controllers. Most recent flight was a 3D printed Nano Tri that is about the size of a tiny whoop. I run a version of dRonin firmware with the TriFlight tail routines baked in.

IMG_20240211_193856656.jpg

Last edited:

sharde26

I guess I could embrace being an oddball. I like tricopters, rotary engines, and Linux lol. I just think the Y layout is cool. I was planning on building a Y6 for aerial photography.