a little help on my first fly and crash :(

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I think you right,
just a couple of questions if you know:
I saw in the store that for ft-scout the landing gears are not included, what prodcut do you suggest ?
the ft racer is no more available in the store, there is a possibililty to order ? (I live in Italy, I searched for resellers in Europe, but I didn't find available of ft-racer)
thanks in advance
The ft racer is discontinued.
The ft scouts recommend wheels are 2.5 - 4 inch wheels......
The speed build kit, comes with the landing gear wire .. but not the wheels,
So you have to buy them separately.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
The ft racer is discontinued.
The ft scouts recommend wheels are 2.5 - 4 inch wheels......
The speed build kit, comes with the landing gear wire .. but not the wheels,
So you have to buy them separately.

Or build them. A lot of the early designs used foamboard wheels.

David, as you're finding out, the hurdles that new pilots often face with getting those first successful flights is proper CG, getting the control surfaces moving the correct directions, and once in the air, getting the plane properly trimmed.

For someone just starting out, flying the more "boring" planes are best because they're more stable, they're more forgiving if the CG or trim isn't perfect, and they are a bit slower to react to inputs.

There's a few reasons why this is important. One is that a new pilot will have enough challenges trying to fly a plane that is flying as it should. A plane out of trim is fighting that. So the more sensitive a plane is to accurate trim settings, the more difficult it will be for the new pilot.

Another is that a new pilot needs to think about every stick input they make as they do it. Pilots with more experience are working from muscle memory, and don't have that delay. So a new pilot needs a plane that will sort of just sit in the air between decisions.

The biggest issue that new pilots have is that when the plane doesn't fly right, they don't know if it's the plane's fault, or their own lack of experience. They haven't learned yet to identify if it was a CG issue, a trim issue, or even a reversed servo issue. So, don't be disheartened when people tell you that you need a different plane to learn on. We all have been through it, and it's a lesson many decades in the making.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Not quite all😂😂😂...
I'm still learning, Very much still learning 😂.....

FIne, fine!

Some of us (including me) are still going through it!

Everyone has that DOH! moment of rushing to fly a new or recently repaired plane, and forgot to check the control surfaces before launching.

A few of us are even able to get it back on the ground without too much damage when we do that!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
It's funny! You don't realize how skilled a pilot Bixler is, until you see him fly a plane, then hand the transmitter off to a skilled pilot who immediately goes into mild panic mode because of how out of trim the plane is. Josh somehow can fly it just fine, while the rest of us would be doing the in flight trim dance.

earthsciteach

I think you right,
just a couple of questions if you know:
I saw in the store that for ft-scout the landing gears are not included, what prodcut do you suggest ?
the ft racer is no more available in the store, there is a possibililty to order ? (I live in Italy, I searched for resellers in Europe, but I didn't find available of ft-racer)
thanks in advance
I believe you are asking about which wheels to select. If you intend to fly from a hard, smooth surface, I'd opt for the 2" or 2.4" wheels. If flying off of shortly cut grass on a fairly smooth field, I'd go with the 2.75" wheels. I don't think I'd put the 4.3" wheels on that plane. If the field isn't smooth enough for 2.75" wheels, the plane will likely nose over on the larger ones, anyway.

I don't see the Racer on the store, either. I really like the Storch. It is a decent beginner plane and very fun to fly.

boogieloo

Nice touch. Was this a kit? But when you have fun fixing it, throw it straight forward. 100 % throttle. Then see what is happening. LIKE someone else said some where else, the battery is not at 100% discharging at full throttle. Just the basic mechanical dexterity issue. Hold the box in one hand and ready to fire the throttle full blast in the box hand. The other hand is used for throwing. I think they already brought this issue up.

Thank you. The receiver or transmitter cut off the RF frequency at impact. You may need a new receiver. Otherwise this airplane with servos is still good.

Last edited: