A new quick build for Cox .020 Pee Wee or Tee Dee

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
Thought I would share what is about the equivalent in glow power planes to FT foamies. This build is about as simple as it gets in glow power. However, as I've learned simple in certain terms - not a beginner build. There are actually easier first stick and tissue first builds for the beginner, and I am having misgivings if the first flight does not end in a pretty flawless landing.

This is a 1963 Paul Del Gatto design, a "flattie" version of the Fairchild 24K. It was originally FF and I am adding light-weight electronics to convert it to RC.

The power will be from either a COX .020 Pee Wee or Tee Dee.

I picked it deliberately because it is a fast build, and it will have a dope finish to fuel proof the balsa.

Plans courtesy of OZ: http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6152

F24K Sketch Outerzone.jpg

Firewall.jpg

Formers to cut.jpg

Getting 3Dimensional.jpg

Joining quarter thick sheet 001.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Cool project! I'm in process converting a flattie balsa chuck glider to RC, but going electric and using the guts from a busted up UMX champ. But

I also used to fly the .049 Cox CL profile planes back in the day, so I'm interested in seeing how this turns out with modern radio equipment in the mix. Also shocked to see the prices on the Cox website for the "vintage" engines. Good grief!