A note of thanks to the Flitetest crew

Ross

OK, I'm here to learn from others experience. I'm just the new nut that fell off the tree. LOL

endfim72

I typically go for the 5050 RGB strips. The cost slightly more, but I can pick from one of 7 colors at install time without a light controller, or add on a cheap controller and I can change it to ANY color . . . scramble the connections between strip segments I can even have three different colors at once. I've wired up several airframes this way with left/right/fuse strings, all on the same controller, all different colors.

Craftydan...I would love to see a tutorial on your method. I've wanted to get some LED's, but have been waiting on the right knowledge or product. How you "scramble" the wire up especially to get the different colors.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
OK, I'm here to learn from others experience. I'm just the new nut that fell off the tree. LOL

No worries :)

It's one of those "why did I waste my time with that" lessons I picked up along the way. If you can put on a switch, it's easy to get caught up and the switch is in your shopping cart before you can think "do I really want it?" I have seen reasons for them, but most night fliers won't benefit from it.

Craftydan...I would love to see a tutorial on your method. I've wanted to get some LED's, but have been waiting on the right knowledge or product. How you "scramble" the wire up especially to get the different colors.

I do need to put together an article/thread on this . . . among the other dozen or so projects . . .

*sigh* we'll see. I'll slip it on the to-do list.

In the mean time . . . the 5 min primer: Look at RGB LED wiring -- common positive lead, one ground lead for each color.

Scrambling happens between strips (most strips have spots that can be cut to separate strips every three LEDs). Power always goes to power. If you connect all the grounds one-for-one between strips you get the same color on both sides. If you "roll" the three grounds (RGB connects to GBR or BRG) you have the original color on the strip closest to the power and a new color on the next strip down. you can also swap any two instead of all three, but when you do, one color will stay the same on both sides.

Keep in mind, white will always be white on every strip (all on), just like off is always off on all the strips.

endfim72

found this video. Basically hooking the negative lead to the RGB lead changes the color. Can even mix the colors.

Ross

I just opened my Baby Blender package with power pack C. Very impressed with the quality of everything in the box. Top notch stuff. Thanks, let the building begin.