A Plea to FliteTest

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
Dear Josh, Alex, Jeremy, Stefan, Mattie, and all the other crew members,

I recently built a mighty mini sportster and was really excited to see how the new makerfoam preformed. I had already scratch built a mini scout out of elmers foam and flown that. Now, my scout has already seen some abuse and the foam is just dinged up a bit. I have not even flown the sportster yet but it is already delaminating!!! Maybe it was a bad batch. In that case I am sorry for this post. It was hard to build in some places (bevels were hard because no matter how sharp the knife was the paper just wanted to come off) and the foam just wasn't very good. I have built the simple cub and the p40 out of the old brown FliteTest foam and they were wonderful. I just want to ask to bring back the old foam or find a better foam (or fix the makerfoam). Until then I will be scratch building. I love FliteTest and will continue to buy from you.

Mr_Stripes

Last edited:

Keno

I have been using Maker Foam and have not seen delamination as a problem. Actually I have had to use a little alcohol to make it easier to remove on large pieces. My take on this is Maker Foam is a little less water resistant than the brown. Paper delamination on both is about the same but it does very between batches. Another notes on Maker Foam is it seems more likely to crease. What I like the most about Maker Board is it has constant thickness. I have had Ready Board and brown board vary 1mm and larger in thickness generally this is not a problem but for needle cutting parts it can cause problems. I hope your problems is a bad batch as I am running out of it and need to reorder. Fly Safe and keep it out there and not over people.

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I have a gripe... What's with all the mid roll ads in your vids. All over YT now you cant watch anything without being inundated with ads every two minutes. I know you need to make your lunch money but c'mon, I am gonna stop watching if this continues. As I understand you don't get the money if I skip ads, the most recent being your Zero vid, a ten minute vid has 4 ad slots plus your promotion sponsor. And these mid roll ads could be anywhere from 6 seconds to over 45 mins, am i supposed to watch a 45 minute ad so you get yours?

I do like the fact you are pulling out another design, on the axis side this time. Will it take over 6 months to get the plans like the Spit or the Stick?

Rant over, moving on...

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Josh has said they are aware of the issues with the Maker Foam, and they're working with Adam's to remedy the problems. Adam's is the company that makes the brown FT foam board, the Maker Foam, and the so called DTFB, too.
Best thing to do is contact support at your purchase point, so they can replace your kit.

Last edited:

Sero

Elite member
Josh has said they are aware of the issues with the Maker Foam, and they're working with Adam's to remedy the problems. Adam's is the company that makes the brown FT foam board, the Maker Foam, and the so called DTFB, too.
Best thing to do, is contact support at your purchase point, so they can replace your kit.
Yes I heard that they had a bad batch of Make Foam. probably best to contact FT directly.

SOB Racing

I have a gripe... What's with all the mid roll ads in your vids. All over YT now you cant watch anything without being inundated with ads every two minutes. I know you need to make your lunch money but c'mon, I am gonna stop watching if this continues. As I understand you don't get the money if I skip ads, the most recent being your Zero vid, a ten minute vid has 4 ad slots plus your promotion sponsor. And these mid roll ads could be anywhere from 6 seconds to over 45 mins, am i supposed to watch a 45 minute ad so you get yours?

I do like the fact you are pulling out another design, on the axis side this time. Will it take over 6 months to get the plans like the Spit or the Stick?

Rant over, moving on...

I don't think the creators have much control over the ADS. I think you have to go to the paid YouTUbe to get rid of the ads

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I don't think the creators have much control over the ADS. I think you have to go to the paid YouTUbe to get rid of the ads
That's just what they want and I won't break, stubborn like that. But the creators do have a choice as to whether they run mid-rolls or not. Some creators have lost viewership just from getting greedy on the ads. Might be a good thing for the smaller channels

It's been my understanding that the creator does have complete control over how heavily loaded their vid is with ads, from none to whatever the max is. I believe the change we've experienced across YouTube was the result of YT allowing a greater ad load than they used to. Not on a whim of course - TV networks made their money with ads. Then people were willing to pay for cable TV. YouTube is taking over from television and of course they've had a Grand Plan for many years. Now the YT experience is becoming what we had with TV before they invented cable.
Flight Test could post their vids without any ads at all, but of course they'd miss out on a significant source of revenue.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It's been my understanding that the creator does have complete control over how heavily loaded their vid is with ads, from none to whatever the max is. I believe the change we've experienced across YouTube was the result of YT allowing a greater ad load than they used to. Not on a whim of course - TV networks made their money with ads. Then people were willing to pay for cable TV. YouTube is taking over from television and of course they've had a Grand Plan for many years. Now the YT experience is becoming what we had with TV before they invented cable.
Flight Test could post their vids without any ads at all, but of course they'd miss out on a significant source of revenue.
Actually even YT is screwing creators on the revenue side, forcing them to overload their content with more ads to make up for the losses. So now its either load up to create the same revenue or close to, or take the small hit and use YT as exposure. Then find other ways to source the missing revenue by sales or website services.

Question is do you keep running ads every two minutes and lose viewership, or run no ads and lose what little revenue YT now offers. Either way YT is screwing their own format by getting greedy. This is the same story you see in all sections of corporate capitalism. Look at what's happening to our airspace...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
You do have to admit, if you watch YT enough, that the a saturation is ridiculous. I like to watch history docs and I like to support the creators, but i cant do both given the ads take up more time then the content. If I was to pay money for the content i would do so through Patreon and not through YT. That way I know the creator is getting their share and its going to a good cause. To pay YT for premium (no ads) viewing is so short sighted. If you pay for the best cable TV you still get ads and that is exactly where YT will go, just watch.

Sorry I hijacked your thread @Mr_Stripes on this subject... back to Maker Foam delamination

Mr.Grinch

I was disappointed with the last videos ad content. The promo spot with the multiple ads is a little ridiculous. Maybe I shouldn’t be surprised though, FT is becoming more about YT marketing than videos geared towards RC enthusiasts.