flitetest brand foam/paper plane frustrations

Shivani130

In essence, my father and I are constructing an advanced kit from this company, a popular YouTube manufacturer, because it was an affordable D18. The issue is that there are no instructions for ANY of the parts. Nothing on the engines, electrical system, or fuselage itself. The sections include some unintuitive symbols, but there is some nuance that requires instructions. There isn't even a legend describing what each sign represents.

I emailed to see whether our instructions had been overlooked, and the response was essentially "it's an advanced model, you should know how it all works already." The issue, of course, is that this is kinda ballocks. The one video we discovered online, which began about halfway through the build and didn't finish, showed him doing things that the markings couldn't reasonably imply.

In any case, has anyone built one of these planes? Does a more basic model come with instructions? How long did you scratch your head before throwing it away?

Thank You.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
In essence, my father and I are constructing an advanced kit from this company, a popular YouTube manufacturer, because it was an affordable D18. The issue is that there are no instructions for ANY of the parts. Nothing on the engines, electrical system, or fuselage itself. The sections include some unintuitive symbols, but there is some nuance that requires instructions. There isn't even a legend describing what each sign represents.

I emailed to see whether our instructions had been overlooked, and the response was essentially "it's an advanced model, you should know how it all works already." The issue, of course, is that this is kinda ballocks. The one video we discovered online, which began about halfway through the build and didn't finish, showed him doing things that the markings couldn't reasonably imply.

In any case, has anyone built one of these planes? Does a more basic model come with instructions? How long did you scratch your head before throwing it away?

Thank You.
To answer your questions at the bottom, yes, most of us have built Flite Test planes and while none of the kits come with written instructions, most models should have their own build video on one of FT's YouTube channels.
Since there are many different FT planes, you are going to have to give us more information so maybe we can help you find the right build video. For example, what kit did you buy and what other components did you get to go with it?

FT has a more simple series of aircraft and their master series. It is usually recommended to start with a simpler build to learn FT build technique and, in a way, "read" the plane and parts to know how they get built without even needing the build video (which there still is for these simpler planes). I think the assumption is that if someone has followed FT's advice then by the time they try their first master series they already know how a lot of the build techniques and materials work so they can mostly just figure it out on their own. On the Flite Test Tech YouTube channel I'm seeing a lot of playlists for master series planes that just goes over the techniques required for that model without going in depth on their exact application, so that the kind of builder who is "ready" for a master series can get caught up on new techniques and combine them with what they already know to figure out the build. If I remember correctly, certain older Master Series planes still have full build videos, but as more of them get released, builds get longer, and as FT grows and gains responsibilities, it was probably seen as best for them to just make a set of videos that outline the techniques so that the advanced builders doing Master Series builds could figure out the rest.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!

Thank You.
Take a look at the Beech 18 playlist. It may be helpful.
Beech 18 Playlist

JDSnavely

Thank You.
Also, there are plans for the older (Click on Addicted's "Spons Index") planes. You can print the plans on 8.5x11 paper and try out a lot of the easiers builds before you start the Master Series build. Don't give up or through away your Beech 18. My youngest son and I like building as much as flying. If you have questions. Just keep asking the forum. People here enjoy helping others!!

JDSnavely

By the way, I recommend Tiny Trainer 4 channel for 2S or 3S 850 mah with F power pack. Mini Scout with A power pack and 2S 650 mah.

halwai2211

Their advanced kits are called master series for a reason. They are for those who have mastered the building techniques learned by building their more basic kits. Those lore basic kits have full step by step tutorial on their YouTube channel to help you build the kit. Sounds like you skipped to the end and now realize you do t have the skill to build the kit and are blaming the manufacturer.
pikashow
ppsspp emulator

Last edited:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
few seconds on YouTube and I found the full build series for the d18, which includes what all the symbols are, a longer video for things that are unique to that craft (and yes, as mentioned above, the master series planes are meant for people who have done at least a few builds, not as a first build)

Beech 18 Playlist

edit (grabbed the wrong playlist the first time)

Last edited: