A Swiss DH Venom in Depron

quorneng

Master member
A few years ago I built a small Depron Venom using a light weight 40mm EDF.
13Aug17.JPG

With a span of 800mm it came out below 250g, although such a category was not relevent at the time.
It flies very well so I decided to build a bigger version this time using a powerful but much heavier QX50 EDF with a 12 blade fan.
My 3D printing skills have developed of the intervening period so it has the advantage of an 'aerodynamic' inlet duct.
DuctCmplt.JPG

The inlet, EDF and the short exhaust duct are assembled into a single unit
The whole airframe is almost exclusively 3mm Depron, the small Venom used 2mm, with no reinforcing. Not even a wing spar just 3 Depron shear webs!
RibLess.JPG

The fuselage uses the duct a 'spine' and is built up around it using formers and planking.
DuctFormers1.JPG

In effect the whole plane is a stressed skin monocoque. Never a quick construction method but it is light and remarkably stiff even in Depron.
PlankCmplt1.JPG

Why a Swiss Venom? The Swiss airforce used the Venom rather longer than the RAF and even had a display team so I loosly copied one paricular example decorated in red and white. Hopefully it would be fairly easy to see!
CmpltTop1.JPG

With the tip tanks it has a span of 1200mm. With a 1800mAh 3s It weighs 490g.
As a 'hand launch/belly land' on rather rough grass the tip tanks have been removed for the flights so far.
The QX 12 blade fan is beautifully ballanced and is remarkably quiet.
Just a scale point the Swiss Venoms which were built under licence had what was called the 'long' nose to house some extra electronics.
SwissNose.jpg

Not very elegant but mine now has one too.

Last edited:

tomlogan1

Elite member
View attachment 240130
With a span of 800mm it came out below 250g, although such a category was not relevent at the time.
It flies very well so I decided to build a bigger version this time using a powerful but much heavier QX50 EDF with a 12 blade fan.
My 3D printing skills have developed of the intervening period so it has the advantage of an 'aerodynamic' inlet duct.
View attachment 240131
The whole airframe is almost exclusively 3mm Depron, the small Venom used 2mm, with no reinforcing. Not even a wing spar just 3 Depron shear webs!
View attachment 240132
The fuselage uses the duct a 'spine' and is built up around it using formers and planking.
View attachment 240133
In effect the whole plane is a stressed skin monocoque. Never a quick construction method but it is light and remarkably stiff even in Depron.
Why a Swiss Venom? The Swiss airforce used the Venom rather longer than the RAF and even had a display team so I loosly copied one paricular example decorated in red and white. Hopefully it would be fairly easy to see!
View attachment 240136
As a 'hand launch/belly land' on rather rough grass the tip tanks have been removed for the flights so far.
Just a scale point the Swiss Venoms which were built under licence had what was called the 'long' nose to house some extra electronics.
View attachment 240138
Gorgeous. Would you share the STL files for edf intake & exhaust,?

L Edge

Master member
View attachment 240130
View attachment 240131
View attachment 240132
View attachment 240133
View attachment 240136
View attachment 240138

Outstanding, well thought out!!!!!!!!!

quorneng

Master member
tomlogan1
You are very welcom to the STL files.
The inlet duct is made up of 3 parts that have to be glued together. You need two of InletLoft1X and one of InletLoft2X. I made all the inlet duct in L:W=PLA to save weight as it was well supported by the fuselage formers.
The exhaust nozzle was PLA.
Everything was printed using the CURA "Spiralize Outer Contour" option to give a single wall continuous print.
I hope these files are downloadable.
Good luck
Gorgeous. Would you share the STL files for edf intake & exhaust,?

Attachments

• ExhaustNozzle.stl
    140.7 KB · Views: 0
  • InletLoft1X.stl
    154.8 KB · Views: 0
  • InletLoft2Xcmplt.stl
    194 KB · Views: 0

tomlogan1

Elite member
tomlogan1
You are very welcom to the STL files.
The inlet duct is made up of 3 parts that have to be glued together. You need two of InletLoft1X and one of InletLoft2X. I made all the inlet duct in L:W=PLA to save weight as it was well supported by the fuselage formers.
The exhaust nozzle was PLA.
Everything was printed using the CURA "Spiralize Outer Contour" option to give a single wall continuous print.
I hope these files are downloadable.
Good luck
Thank you so very much. It's on the build list for winter, just trying to get everything ready now. Who knows, winter might come early?

I really appreciate this.

quorneng

Master member
This was the Swiss Venom's first "proper" flight. All previous attempts were very short as it needed considerable aerodynamic adjustment to be stable.
Much of the flight was done at reduced power which is why I was happy to exceed the 3 minute full power timer setting.