A Tail Pusher

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I wanted a sub-250g plane that was a pusher, so that I didn't end up with a prop in the way of the FPV camera.

cgCalc for wing/tail design

Initial cutting plan (doesn't include wing spar/servo notches/etc yet).

InitalCuttingPlan.png ATailPusher.jpg

JasonK

Take the 2 - 4" by 10.5" pieces, score at 1" intervals, then as shows secondary scores on 2 of the sections (alternating) score in 3/16" [or the thickness of your foam] and then remove the strips as shown. I removed the inside paper to save some weight. These will be the tail booms and create a 1" square cross section.

ATailPusherBoomCutting.jpg

Take the 3 1/4" piece and score 1" from each edge, then 3/16" from that score toward the edge as shown below, cut off a 2 1/2" piece and remove the foam strips. This will be the power pod. Set aside the remainder.

ATailPusherPowerPod.jpg

JasonK

Wing and Tail work:

horizontal lines are at 1 1/4", +1 1/2", +1 3/16", + 1 9/16", last is 4". Fairly Standard FT wing folding.

ATailWingCutoutMarkings.jpg ATailWingCutoutPostCutout.jpg

Then I attached the Tail booms as follows:
ATailWingBooms.jpg

Then The tail (10 1/4" x 3" starting foam) cutouts as follow. Ended up enlarging the middle notch to account for the fold. Cut some notches in the tail booms to glue in the tail.
AtailTailCutingMarkings.jpg ATailTailNotches.jpg ATailTailInstalled.jpg

JasonK

Next is the Pod, unfortunately I had to wing this a bit as I messed up some of my initial measurements. I don't have exact messurements, just a description of the functional need.
Basically make a larger pod that is as tall inside but 2 extra foam wide compared to the power pod, then extend it with a 'tray' out the front.

Next work out how long it needs to be to get the CG as desired and cut down if possible (should be done after servos/etc are mounted so all weight is accounted for.

ATailPod.jpg ATailPodBottom.jpg ATailPodTop.jpg

Next is the Pod, unfortunately I had to wing this a bit as I messed up some of my initial measurements. I don't have exact messurements, just a description of the functional need.
Basically make a larger pod that is as tall inside but 2 extra foam wide compared to the power pod, then extend it with a 'tray' out the front.

Next work out how long it needs to be to get the CG as desired and cut down if possible (should be done after servos/etc are mounted so all weight is accounted for.

View attachment 175998 View attachment 175997 View attachment 175996
Hey this looks terrific! This guy might maybe kinda sorta know what he's doing. :D Talk about simple and really creative at the same time...

I'm a design/build guy at heart. Master series builds are really impressive, but I'm also really impressed with a bare-bones honest "this is made of craft supplies" build that really looks like something. Nice work.

JasonK

Hey this looks terrific! This guy might maybe kinda sorta know what he's doing. :D Talk about simple and really creative at the same time...

I'm a design/build guy at heart. Master series builds are really impressive, but I'm also really impressed with a bare-bones honest "this is made of craft supplies" build that really looks like something. Nice work.
yah... just remember to install the servos in the wings before attaching all the pods. I now have to fish the servo leads through the wing AND the pod at the same time ;(

also thanks, I am hoping that this design flies good... will let me FPV around.

yah... just remember to install the servos in the wings before attaching all the pods. I now have to fish the servo leads through the wing AND the pod at the same time ;(

also thanks, I am hoping that this design flies good... will let me FPV around.
:LOL::ROFLMAO:

JasonK

I got the servos in and wires fished through the wing (including cutting a small access hatch in the top of the wing to get stuff through). I also boxed out the nose cover bits and CG testing verified my hunch that I needed something slighly longer then how my 'winging it' got the tray to be.

ATailServos.jpg ATailPodCover.jpg

JasonK

First flight need lots of up elevator and had very low elevator control and very sensitive roll. Some adjustments to my dual rates and moving the CG back got it flying good. Is a bit faster of a flier then my V-tail, which was expected as it has a much smaller wing/etc.

Second flight - almost lost it over the woods on the edge of the airfield -> lost orientation... just got the wings level and thankfully it was flying home.

Third flight - FPV - flew great... then someone revved their EDF and my screen snowed out... thankfully only for a second or two. Landed it.

Forth flight - FPV - started doing some tricks, started with some Immelmann turns and then some rolls. going to definately get some FPV stick time out of this plane.