A Viking (12) Saga

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
A few months ago Horizon Hobby dropped the intriguing Viking 12 at the too-good-to-pass-up price of $99. This plane is a UMX+ 3D/aerobatic biplane with a 3s 280 power plant. It has Precision and 3D modes like the bigger Ultimate2 but no SAFE.
The plane is stunning to look at with the striking blue and yellow paint and trim embedded into the foam, no stickers.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/EFL6650

Just a few flights into my time with the Viking the motor started pulsing. It got worse with each flight and sometimes the motor wouldn't shut off with the throttle. I didn't want to try to box up the entire plane to send to HH for service for I pulled out the ESC, RX ad motor. Of course, HH found nothing wrong but swapped out the RX as a courtesy.

I replaced the electronic, did a quick test and took the plane out on a Sunday morning for a trial run. I meant to do a more thorough check at the field and make sure the modes were working but I quickly forgot that plan and tossed the plane in the air. The plane rolled over and dived into the ground. Notreallyme and I were a little shocked to discover no signs of damage. I reversed the aileron and elevator and launched the plane again. The plane flew fine but AS3X and the flight modes were not working.

Spektrum has files for the Viking programming but they seem to be in a format that is no longer compatible with the PC programmer. It is a moot point anyway because the PC never sees the RX when connected with the programming cable. The iPhone has no presets for the Viking. Off to the internet I went.

The Spektrum website has programming videos but nothing speciific to the Viking, I followed their Yak example. Inspecting the plane at home I also noticed that the wing mounting struts were loose in several spots. I programmed the RX and glued the mounts. I left the first flight mode with no programming, one with AS3X only and one set to 3D mode. The plane launched fine. AS3X mode had no issues. I tested 3D mode with a hover, everything looked good but suddenly the plane started rolling and headed for the ground. I put all sticks to neutral but the plane kept rolling. Just a few feet above the ground I switched back into mode 1 (no stabilization) and the plane leveled out right before hitting the ground. The impacted broke the gear and the top wing loose but that was it. At home I swapped the orientation of the RX, rechecked AS3X and things seemed to be working the correct direction (I had done that before but I guess I missed something).

This morning I flew the repaired plane with no issues. I don't know how the modes are set compared to spec but it flew in all modes. I did some very aggressive moves and so no bad characteristics. I had a nice landing on he gear with no nose over. I think that 3D mode can use more AS3X and maybe more heading hold. If anyone has the specs for the Viking please share them.

Last edited by a moderator: