Need help deciding next plane

Alstrox

I started with a top race plane from Amazon and flew that multiple times then upgraded to mini apprentice s which I flew multiple times as well usually in safe but tried to turning off safe until I got decently comfortable without it.
Now I mostly fly umx ultrix with the dxe transmitter included with the rtf mini apprentice I’m quite comfortable performing acrobatics with the ultrix and enjoy flying it in as3x mode.
What should I upgrade: transmitter or a new plane- I was thinking some sort of edf but I’m not sure if I’m ready. I have a 250 dollar budget but can go 300ish if I need to

mcmoyer

If it were me, I'd upgrade the transmitter first, preferably a Radiomaster, and probably a Zorro or Boxer. Then you'd still have enough money to get a different plane because you wouldn't be limited to HH offerings. An EDF may still be a big jump because the Ultrix can make you look like a rockstar pilot without having to be one.

Alstrox

If it were me, I'd upgrade the transmitter first, preferably a Radiomaster, and probably a Zorro or Boxer. Then you'd still have enough money to get a different plane because you wouldn't be limited to HH offerings. An EDF may still be a big jump because the Ultrix can make you look like a rockstar pilot without having to be one.
Could you specify exactly which transmitter maybe with a link

mcmoyer

or this one

Either of these radios with the 4-in-1 module will allow you to bind to a majority of different receivers available today.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Which plane would you recommend after buying one of those
if you want to build something, A legacy is a wonderful plane (although touhcy), mine has been my favorite flyer for a while now. nad if not, the apprentice is a tride and true one, I have owned nad flown the s2 for many many batts, 2 years now, minimal issues and a fun time

Alstrox

if you want to build something, A legacy is a wonderful plane (although touhcy), mine has been my favorite flyer for a while now. nad if not, the apprentice is a tride and true one, I have owned nad flown the s2 for many many batts, 2 years now, minimal issues and a fun time
Could you please post links for each one

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
+1 on the Tx, can't go wrong with any of the ones mentioned above. OpenTx is a great operating system, there is a bit of a learning curve. If you decide to go that way, be sure to watch the YouTube videos to explain the all of the setups

Alstrox

What do you mean by “a legacy”

mcmoyer

Alstrox, maybe give us a bit more information so we can recommend a good plane. What are your goals? Are you wanting to progress your skills as a flyer, or just want a different plane, or maybe a faster bank and yank plane? What's your flying area like? Large field, small area? Club? What's the surface? Current pilot skill level? Can you takeoff, fly & land without the use of SAFE? How are you with inverted flight?

Alstrox

Alstrox, maybe give us a bit more information so we can recommend a good plane. What are your goals? Are you wanting to progress your skills as a flyer, or just want a different plane, or maybe a faster bank and yank plane? What's your flying area like? Large field, small area? Club? What's the surface? Current pilot skill level? Can you takeoff, fly & land without the use of SAFE? How are you with inverted flight?
I have a pretty big field, but it’s located at the top of a large hill so it’s easy to fly over the trees as well while maintaining good visibility of the plane. It’s mostly grass and packed dirt. I’ve been trying to find a spot with concrete but haven’t had much luck. I usually use safe for landings but have tried without, and takeoffs i hand launch so I dont really have to use safe for launches. As for inverted flight I’m decent but not good. I’m looking for a fast plane that can do basic aerobatics

Piotrsko

Master member
Landings are best when you leave it in a shallow stabilized descent and don't alter that much. A super cub has it's own acrobatic class in full size aircraft. Doesn't fly inverted well however, something about flooding the engine and flat bottom wing..... do you have any sort of style in aircraft that you like? Start there.

mcmoyer

I’d like some sort of jet or mostly anything fast and maneuverable
Good first EDF's are Arrows Marlin, FMS Future 64mm, HH Habu 50mm. They're fairly easy to fly, fairly maneuverable, and fairly fast. The batteries are cheap, being 4S, vs 6S batteries for bigger EDFs.

With EDFs you'll have much shorter flying times, roughly 3 to 3.5 minutes. You'll need a bit longer landing area. I have the Marlin and it can be hand launched, but I prefer takeoffs. If you're always going to be hand launching, maybe an EDF without landing gear like the Arrows Viper 50mm

If you want something highly maneuverable, but not quite as fast, my HH Ultimate 3D is a lot of fun, also works on affordable 4s batteries. It's a handful though. Most STOL planes will be very maneuverable and are usually very easy to fly. I own the Arrows Bigfoot and run it on 4S and it's still one of my favorite planes.

From FliteTest, I've built several versions of the Master Series F-16 which have all be fun to fly. I've built the FT-3D XL which is super maneuverable plane. I've also built the FT Simple Stick which would probably fit both of your criteria of being fast and maneuverable. Very easy build, a lot of fun.

Alstrox

I was also considering the f15 eagle 64mm from hh I don’t know if it’s too advanced for me so if not that one id like to build my own(I don’t have any building experience or materials). What would be the total cost of master series f16, transmitter, receiver electronics, etc.