A Wing Dragon - but bigger and lighter - A Big Dragon?

quorneng

Master member
When I playing around trying out variatons on my Wing Dragon I wondered what it would be like to take my successful lightweight Depron version
Complete1.JPG
and just make it 50% bigger.
Complete.JPG
So the same tapered wing but scaled up to 60" span with a similar increase in the length of the fuselage but not the width as the 3000 mAh 3s has the same frontal area as the 1500 mAh 3s used in the smaller plane.
The motor power is raised from 100 to 200W and turns a 10x3.8 prop. Its weight goes up from 12 to 22oz (623 g).
The result is a slow and docile flier with an impressive 'floaty' glide. Not only does it have a considerable endurance but also a great reserve of thrust - more than enough for basic aerobatics and even an unassisted belly take off! :)
Today was warm and virtually still. Ideal conditions for the Big Dragon.;)
Although intended as a basic power plane it glides pretty well too.

Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Very nice! That belly take off was impressive.

Just for grins, what motor are you using on the big dragon?

quorneng

Master member
Foam Addict
It is a Keda Thumrun 2830/14 which I believe is a 1600kV motor. It looks like it is no longer available.

Just out of curiosity I have just put it on a Watt meter and at full power it draws 37A (I hope I fitted a 40A ESC!) showing 380W. As the specification is 340W max it is actually slightly over propped but then full power is only used very briefly, if at all.
As the Big Dragon weighs just 22 oz all up it has 276 W/lb available, which rather explains its sparkling performance!:D.