Adding Tissue onto Tissue...

CthulhuJon

I'm revisiting one of my previous balsa models... I did some weight saving by moving servos from wings into the nose, so I'm re-covering the fuse and decided to change some colors and add some patterns to the wings...
but... can I add fairly large area of tissue to an already doped ( eze-dope ) wing?
This would be a large triangular curved piece of tissue from wing root out to half way up the wing..

When doing tissue work, I haven't found any video's on adding extra color or decals, just lots of vids on how to cover a model.
I've patched small tears and holes before, but not tried any large areas, where 2 colors have to be on top of each other.
Is this a no-no, or is it do-able ?

any advice appreciated. Thanks.

cyclone3350

Master member
It's been a while for me. If I remember correctly, I misted the tissue ( just enough to make damp ) to be applied using a hairspray mister to lay the tissue in place. Then I brushed dope over that to seal and adhere it to place. I did this one with tissue over natural doped Polyspan.

IMG_0695.JPG

CthulhuJon

Thanks, I tried doing that ( mister then paint dope over ) for adding some black tissue to the wing-tips and it worked well... I have not had the guts yet to try the big horizontal area across the wings... i'll post pics once its done...

CthulhuJon

Well, almost there, fuse and wingtips done, just deciding wether to add the large black areas on top surface of wing or not ( they are just sitting there in this pic) the color theme is loosely… turkey vulture.
639F069A-EB7E-49F8-8D27-FC6AFFE4CE41.jpeg

500CCBC5-6E3E-462D-A0AA-2C1C0EF1422F.jpeg

cyclone3350

Master member
Well, almost there, fuse and wingtips done, just deciding wether to add the large black areas on top surface of wing or not ( they are just sitting there in this pic) the color theme is loosely… turkey vulture.
View attachment 221086
View attachment 221087

There is something about the sheen of doped tissue that I think looks so cool. Vey well done. U should definitely put on the black trim. Even with it sitting loosely on looks good. If it doesn't come out perfect, it'll still look just fine.

tetraodontoxin

looks good, I know I am a little late the party, but if you are nervous about the large areas, try getting some tissue from walmart, build a simple frame and try it out on something like that before the model. ive been searching for a good technique for splicing two different color sheets of tissue together. i made a few small frames from balsa and experimented that way, though I was using UHU glue stick instead of dope.