Tissue?

Tench745

Master member
One thing only thing stick it to the outside edges only none of the ribs

Generally I have read to stick the outside edges only, then shrink. Once shrunk you can stick the covering down to the ribs either by brushing glue or sealer through the tissue, or ironing down the iron-on coverings.

Here's an article from Bob Benjaman about tissue covering a rubber powered J-4 model. There are pictures with captions of each step starting part-way down the page. Most of it is probably review, but hopefully someone will find some useful tips or reminders in it.
http://rcmodel.com/2014/04/converting-the-30-rubber-powered-dumas-piper-j-4-to-electric-rc-part-4/

EAS

Gen....aarticle from Bob Benjaman about tissue covering a rubber powered J-4 model. There are pictures with captions of each step starting part-way down the page. Most of it is probably review, but hopefully someone will find some useful tips or reminders in it.
http://rcmodel.com/2014/04/converting-the-30-rubber-powered-dumas-piper-j-4-to-electric-rc-part-4/

The best write-up available. You couldn't do a vid with this much info. I'd be hours long.
Thanks for the link.

EAS

I see that U R using Sig silkspan. I would stay with that and test try it with the 3m glue stick. After U put it on dampened, go around the edges with the dope before it dries. U can do some more stretch pulling when doping the edges. I have a club member that puts his silkspan in a pan of water and then blots out the excess water by pressing it flat in between to layers of paper towels. I can't remember if I used the red or silver. It was one of these two.

I've got "easy dope" tissue paste on hand, but I'm betting it's only compatible with "easy dope". I'll order some scotch and try it first. I think the easy dope paste is water-based.

Bricks

Master member
Generally I have read to stick the outside edges only, then shrink. Once shrunk you can stick the covering down to the ribs either by brushing glue or sealer through the tissue, or ironing down the iron-on coverings.

Here's an article from Bob Benjaman about tissue covering a rubber powered J-4 model. There are pictures with captions of each step starting part-way down the page. Most of it is probably review, but hopefully someone will find some useful tips or reminders in it.

My bad I should of added while applying and pulling it tite.

Tench745

Master member
This was the other write-up I was looking for yesterday. Took me a while to find it. It goes into some more detail on alternative glues and techniques, like using glue stick and alcohol, which is how I have covered three different models now. Works pretty well for me, but I don't have any experience with dope to compare it to.

Attachments

• Notes_on_tissuing.pdf
    363.2 KB · Views: 0

EAS

This was the other write-up I was looking for yesterday. Took me a while to find it. It goes into some more detail on alternative glues and techniques, like using glue stick and alcohol, which is how I have covered three different models now. Works pretty well for me, but I don't have any experience with dope to compare it to.

I can't open the file... like it's corrupted. Can you open it from here?