Advice on a First time FPV set up

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
Howdy all,

I am looking at this set upon AMAZON

Thoughts?

Seems to have everything. Is not the best, but is not horrible either. Seems like a decent getting started set up. I will be flying alone most of the time, so a huge number of channels should not be an issue

I will be putting this on a VersaCopter

Fyathyrio

Before you spend the $$, try and find somebody who can give you a ride using those (or similar) style goggles to see if you like the fit, feel, and view. Also try a head mounted display like Headplay for comparison. Depending on your eyesight, the Fatsharks may not work well for you.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I've been using the FS teleporter (v3) for a while and haven't had any issues with them. Picture could be better, screen could be larger, etc etc...

For the money you could do better. The visor style goggles seem to be the much better deal right now. I'd check out the Quanum/Fat Shark Genesis and the New Quanum Cyclops V2 before a new set of teleporters.

nwnugget

https://store.flitetest.com/teleporter-v5-fpv-goggles-by-fat-shark/

Is it me or do I see the FT store with the same kit for <> $80 less? :)

The ones on the store are just the goggles.

I've been using the Teleporter V3 for a while now. Having tried the box type I prefer the goggles better. The teleporters are not the best, but they do the job. Depending on your budget and commitment to the hobby there might be better options out there.

You can start with an inexpensive box type https://www.amazon.com/Goolsky-Quad...8&qid=1494439067&sr=8-12&keywords=fpv+goggles

and upgrade later to the standard for quality (some opinions) https://www.amazon.com/Fat-Shark-FS...=UTF8&qid=1494439384&sr=8-2&keywords=fatshark

You can always resell the cheaper ones or keep them for ride-alongs.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Every review on the teleporter series I have seen have the same reviews. They work good and are ok for starter gear. But it is not very long before people hate them for the low res specially once they saw something to compare them to.

Things to consider is IPD adjustment or fixed.. Do you have a fat head? close spaced eyes, wear glasses ?
Resolution, wide screen or not, battery use, diversity or not, and finally price.

I have a weird shaped head so I HAD to have IPD. I used a 7 inch monitor to break into FPV and that worked well but lugging the gear around was a pain. When I made my decision I went with the Skyzone's because they were over 100 dollars off where I got them, they had good reviews. They have diversity receiver INCLUDED not a separate purchase like fat sharks. They were NOT wide screen.

I did not want wide screen as to me the video is smooshed vertically which along with the fish eye effect of every lens out there on the cameras that close to ground distance was skewed. Also the wider the FOV or the screen the faster you perceive things passing by. Take that away with a normal screen and you SEEM like you are flying slow but you are not and can be more accurate due to less compression of the top and bottom of the screen.

That's just my thoughts now that I have a pair and compared them to a monitor which is what you get in the head play style goggles.

nwnugget

Every review on the teleporter series I have seen have the same reviews. They work good and are ok for starter gear. But it is not very long before people hate them for the low res specially once they saw something to compare them to.

Things to consider is IPD adjustment or fixed.. Do you have a fat head? close spaced eyes, wear glasses ?
Resolution, wide screen or not, battery use, diversity or not, and finally price.

I have a weird shaped head so I HAD to have IPD. I used a 7 inch monitor to break into FPV and that worked well but lugging the gear around was a pain. When I made my decision I went with the Skyzone's because they were over 100 dollars off where I got them, they had good reviews. They have diversity receiver INCLUDED not a separate purchase like fat sharks. They were NOT wide screen.

I did not want wide screen as to me the video is smooshed vertically which along with the fish eye effect of every lens out there on the cameras that close to ground distance was skewed. Also the wider the FOV or the screen the faster you perceive things passing by. Take that away with a normal screen and you SEEM like you are flying slow but you are not and can be more accurate due to less compression of the top and bottom of the screen.

That's just my thoughts now that I have a pair and compared them to a monitor which is what you get in the head play style goggles.

Which version of the skyzones are you using. I need an upgrade and was looking at Fatshark Dominators, skyzone 01S, and the Aomway Commanders.

Fyathyrio

For cheap, and if not sure what you may like, it's hard to beat the Hobby King Quanum Pro setup. Kinda ugly, but easy to fully customize to your needs. Setup includes a 5" monitor and pretty much all the wires and stuff you need to connect it up. Monitor allows for either 4:3 or 16:9 cameras so you can get distortion free viewing. You will have to find your own receiver, but there's tons of those out there. For a good, but kind of expensive option, the Quanum diversity one works great.

There are tons of ideas on how to customize these goggles to suit your eyes, and at about 1/4 the cost of Fatshark style stuff, easy on the wallet too. The only other thing you will need is some antennas, there are tons of choices there, most use a shorter range omni-directional combined with a longer range with narrow focus.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I believe mine are the skyzone 01 v2's I can't find an actual model number on them anywhere. The manual says 01 as well. There are a bunch of videos on my YT page using a crappy dvr that records at 702 x 480 if you want to see what I see. Keep in mind that most of the artifacts in the recordings are in the dvr not the goggles. You will have to go on my word for that part but the diversity works awesome and I have had no problems with them at all so far.