Aircraft Motor, Car ESC? Will it Work?

highflying

I have an idea for a motorised tricycle car. I want to use this huuuewwwge 7bhp electric motor, but want reverse as well, so can I use a car ESC? Thanks.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Maybe.

Depends on the type and size of the motor and the type and size of the ESC. So far we only know the motor is "huuuewwwge" (~5kW is pretty big compared to the stuff we play with, but not unheard of).

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
I put a car esc on a BW, to see if I can 'brake'. Going to maiden it the coming weekend, I'll keep you posted XD

Motor: NTM 28-26a 1200 kV, ESC: trackstar 25A. Bench test without prop went fine.

I agree with Dan though. I've got a 5 kW motor in my 700 helicopter with a castle 120A esc, which is on the light side...

highflying

Thanks for the swift detailed replies. I wanted to use 2 Turnigy CA80-80 in the front wheels, which are actually closer to 8 or 9 bhp each, my mistake. I want it to be beastly so I want at least 150 bhp per metric tonne, and being a small person, (13 years of age) I figured all I would need was around around 16bhp, since I weigh around 55-60kg, and the car frame and Electronics I am trying for under 40kg. It might be ambitious, but I'm going for as much CF as is humanely possible, seats, bodywork, parts of the chassis etc. Anyone who can help's help is appreciated.

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
9 bhp is about 6.7 kW. P=V*I, so divide by the voltage to get the current at that power. For example, you're running 12s lipos, that's about 50V. Put that into the equation and you're at 6700/50=134 A of current (at full throttle). With the 80% rule you'll need ~170A ESC's or higher.

That is if you're running 12s. If you're running 6s only, that'd be 340A ESCs... Not sure if those are made at all.

Looking at a pricey project here, dude!