Airplane Frame Quadcopter

malik98

Gravity Fighter
Hello all,
I have a vision to have an airplane fuselage that flies like a quad-copter. It would have two motors on each wing, one in front and one in back but not transition like a VTOL. I'm thinking this would allow me to conceal all of my electronics and allow orientation issues to be a thing of the past. Would this be something easily made from DTF that can be done over my winter break or more complicated? If my motors died would it be possible to put it into a nose down atttitude with elevator and glide back down?
My equipment will be:
Naza Lite w/GPS
4 G-Force G15 motors (4.5lb thrust each)
4 Skywalker 40A Esc's
Quanum complete bundle FPV setup
FrSky Taranis 16Ch Telemetry Radio

Cheers,
Malik

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I think Peters vtol cargo basically proves it can be done. I'm not sure until he releases it how elevator and rudder are hooked up. Y servo leads probably. He said it was relatively straight forward and done with a kk2

Last edited:
Here's a cool one.

I have considered trying this one. There's a thread on RCG about flashing the kk2 to control this plane.

Last edited:

earthsciteach

Malik, I've been playing around with an idea that is similar to Peter's, but disengages the rear two motors when flying horizontally. The one aspect of Peter's that I am not thrilled about is that the KK board still treats it as a quad. I'd rather switch to a "fixed wing" mode or disable one FC and enable another. I'll never get anywhere with this as I am an idiot when it comes to programming and such.

malik98

Gravity Fighter
I've found a good design to build off of www.wingcopter.com and I know what I want to do. My question to all of you is what CAD program is the best and easiest to use? I tried some of the basic ones but they had limited options that built off of a ready made airframe.

Cheers,
Malik

HawkMan

In one of the Australia episodes of the hobbyking live show, they showed a guy that had converted his skymule into a quad.

malik98

Gravity Fighter
If I don't intend to fly like an airplane will I need an airfoil. It will also incorporate a carbon fiber rod going to the tail surfaces and they probably won't be used unless I can glide without an airfoil. Can I?? I also have some preliminary measurements:
Wingspan: 55 inches
Chord Length: 7 inches
Fuse Length: 14 inches
Fuse Width: 3 inches
Fuse Height: 2 inches
CF Rod length: 12 inches

Cheers,
Malik

earthsciteach

If you don't intend to fly like an airplane, the extra weight of the wings and extended fuselage is a bit pointless, IMO. What is it you are looking to do with this?

malik98

Gravity Fighter
A way to enclose all of my electronics, look cool, and make orientation easier. If each of my motors has 4.5 lbs thrust will the weight of the DTF make a big difference. The one I have now is 3.6 pounds and flies great but is a bit small and falling apart

malik98

Gravity Fighter
I also plan on doing bomb drops, are there any other quads that will give me space for this and be easy to tell which part is front and back.

malik98

Gravity Fighter
I finally got it running today. It;s so docile I flew it without auto-level without realizing until about 4 hours later. With auto-level on it snaps back to position, without it sways around slowly and smoothly.
20141218_152158.jpg
Before the FliteTest. Flew Great

20141219_194317.jpg
Added Stilts to protect battery & FPV antenna

20141219_194334.jpg

20141219_194328.jpg

20141219_194311.jpg
Miscellaneous Pictures

Cheers,
Malik