Alternative Build Materials Videos (AWESOME!)

I am really enjoying the alternative build materials videos that you put up, they are very inspiring! If there is a topic I would like to hear touched on for this, it would be how to select alternative materials which would be well suited for our application. Obviously it can't be to heavy, but I am interested in hearing what other criteria you find important.

On a different thread of the same topic, as I build a LOT more out of DTFB, Water Proof foam, and Maker Foam - I am also becoming increasingly aware of the environmental impact of this stuff due to the amount of plastics, which unfortunately often end up getting disposed in the garbage. Unfortunately, I don't have any foam recyclers in my area and from what I have read even if I had one nearby they likely would reject even the scraps due to "contamination" from the paper. So this subject has a special place in my heart as my family and I progress on our journey to reduce and eliminate waste.

Keep playing with different materials, it is very inspiring!

Phin G

Elite member
I made a small 500mm ft slinger out of the cardboard that you get out of clarks shoe boxes and it flew fine. Matchsticks and tissue paper is on my list but i cant think of any other different build materials

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Good old fashion corrugated cardboard will make a good plane. A fb plane will have a better finish but the cardboard will fly just as well.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I made a small 500mm ft slinger out of the cardboard that you get out of clarks shoe boxes and it flew fine. Matchsticks and tissue paper is on my list but i cant think of any other different build materials
Corflute what they make sign's out of, corrugated plastic.