Alternatives to hot glue?

doc_mat

Hi everyone, with the hot weather upon us (some places much hotter than others), I was wondering what would be good foam safe alternatives to hot glue, that not only give a strong bond, but won't wreck the foam (or the bank) or even a type of hot glue that can take the heat... I nosed a Zero into the pavement after an aileron servo came loose from the hot glue- and that was on a 95 degree day.

A lot of people are switching over to gorrila glue for just this reason. The one drawback however is the longer dry times associated with using the glue. Let me dig up the link for the episode FT did on this topic

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Gorilla makes hot glue, it's supposed to be stronger than normal hot glue. Maybe give that a try?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
White gorilla glue is my go-to glue for everything. It cures in about an hour and usually stops foaming out in 30 minutes. I'm not sure where you live but if you are in an arid climate, pick up a small spray bottle from a dollar store and use some distilled water. Lightly spray your joint to be glued prior to applying the glue. To prevent the glue from foaming out where you do not want, simply apply tape to that area. You can use painter's tape for this and then remove it later. The foam will give long before the glue does. While this may take longer to dry, keep in mind that if you plan your build well, you can work on other parts while the previous part(s) are drying. A little bit of this stuff goes a long way. Pick up a bottle and give it a try. My best suggestion.

Allenhat

I second Wilsonman on white gorilla glue. I am in love with it. I just pin the joint until the glue dries.

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
White Gorilla Glue and Beacon Foam-Tac are my go-to items for gluing foamboard. Hot glue is my go-to for quick and dirty work.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm a big believer in White Gorilla Glue too - much lighter than hot glue. I don't bother with any water misting though - just put on a little less than you think and if possible, temporarily tape over joints to control the foaming.

doc_mat

I picked up Gorilla glue gel and did a test on a scrap piece of foam... The gel eats the foam, big time! I don't recommend it. But since I'm going into town today, I'll hit up the hardware store and pick up some white gorilla glue while I'm out

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Gorilla seems to have a bit of a marketing identify crisis -- there are may Gorilla brand glues, but only the original and white Gorilla glues are unique products. Everything else they sell is a knockoff formulation -- perhaps good knockoffs, but if someone is steering you toward Gorilla brand, if it's not the original or white, "better" is pretty much hype.

Gorilla super glue and Gorilla super glue gel are both (as the name implies) CA glues -- one medium, one thick, neither friendly to foam.

Gorilla wood glue is a PVA glue similar to Titebond. A good, slow-curing, strong, water based glue that holds dimensional stability (doesn't foam). Nice glue for building balsa, but foamboard, the water in the glue will do nasty things to the paper skins.

Gorilla Epoxy is . . . Epoxy. Epoxy has it's place among foamboard builds, but more often than not it's not worth the trouble. With a 1-2hr build, is it worth breaking out the 5 min epoxy that needs a few hours to fully cure? Even Gorilla glue is done in 30.

Gorilla sealant? silicone calking. Not much to write home about . . . unless you like gorillas.

The standard and white Gorilla glues are a foaming polyurethane glues. These are the unique products, that fit our projects well enough to be a slightly-slower-build alternative to hot glue. each are slightly different formulations of the same sticky goo and both are water activated, but the solvents in the glue are pretty mild and harmless to foam. The glue foams into the foam (so long as the parts are braced and seams taped up) so the bond can be super strong and deep. the original (brown) doesn't foam as much, so while it may be a touch less messy (if you don't mind the brown) the joints are also a touch less strong . . . but still stronger than DTFB.

doc_mat

Picked up white gorilla glue, glued a few test pieces, and I think I found the glue I'm gonna use on the Seaduck when it gets here. lol

TTF

PHD in Crashology!
I've built a few experimental airlines tubes and Armin wing with gorilla white glue, works great. I wet paper towel and then ring it out and damp the area first. Stuff works like a nails! I also clamp down what I'm joining, and if need be trim off excess foam when cured with razor.

Bricks

Master member
If I am not using hot glue the ones I use is Beacon Fabri-Tac and Quick Grip the Beacon I swear is the same as Foam-Tac but much cheaper. In high humidity the Fari-Tac takes a little longer to dry lay a bead on your piece put it together and pull it apart let sit for a few minutes put the pieces together and it holds almost instantly but is not cured.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
I'm guessing the white Gorilla Glue does good with the waterproof board? From what I see here, people are planning to use it for the Sea Duck. I'd like to build the Sea Duck and would like it to last as long as my flying skills will allow. Would you recommend the white Gorilla Glue for this?

Bricks

Master member
I'm guessing the white Gorilla Glue does good with the waterproof board? From what I see here, people are planning to use it for the Sea Duck. I'd like to build the Sea Duck and would like it to last as long as my flying skills will allow. Would you recommend the white Gorilla Glue for this?

Me personally I would use the Fabri-Tac it is 100% water proof ( WalMart ) being it can be used on material and sent thru a washer and dryer.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Me personally I would use the Fabri-Tac it is 100% water proof ( WalMart ) being it can be used on material and sent thru a washer and dryer.

But does it adhere to the WPFB? even if the glue is waterproof but doesn't stick to the board, it doesn't do any good :)

Does normal hot glue stick to the board? I'm only asking about the Gorilla Glue because I remember hearing/reading that hot glue doesn't like to stick to the board. Just trying to figure out what others are already doing.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
GG will stick to glass. It will stick to anything. A better bond is created when its foam-to-foam so I would suggest focusing your construction there. Even making little punctures for the glue to expand into will make the bond stronger. A pencil is good for making those little holes.