Angle mode cleanflight issue

HippyFPV

So my quad flies fine in both acro and horizon mode but I wanted to set up a angle mode to practise on as well as using it for a "emergency switch". I configured angle mode to aux 1, as I did with horizon mode previously. I took off and the quad started to violently shake from side to side until it flipped over completely and broke a few props. I've tried to reset both accelerometer and magnometer and the same thing happens (I now test the quad on a bed to save props). Any help to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

Quad specs:
Emax250 frame
Emax 2204 2300kv motors
Blheli 12A esc's
Skyline32 flight controller
3s lipo
HQ 5x4.5 props

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Hi HippyFPV, welcome to the forum! Are you taking off in angle mode? Or is the shaking happening in acro mode. If it is shaking in only angle mode you should check out the level PIDs. Lowering the P gain may help.

HippyFPV

Thanks! Sorry should have made myself more clear, the shaking is happening in angle mode only. I've tuned my p gains for acro mode as best as I can so if I were to lower the p gain wouldn't it just mess up the other modes? It just seems strange that this problem is only in angle mode. Thanks for the fast reply!

Ocean

I think Snarls suggested to only lower the level PIDS (they should be labelled "LEVEL").

Are you using PID Controller 1 in cleanflight? If so the Level gain here is usually ridiculously high on the default settings, however I thought this had been fixed.

HippyFPV

Ahh I see, yes I'm using PID controllers 1. The LEVEL rate is 9 at the moment so I'll keep reducing to see if that helps. Thanks for the help and welcoming me to the forum, I'll post any developments. :)

Ocean

From the CF PID tuning:

Cleanflight 1.12.0 changed the default value for P_Level to 20. This is the recommended value for the MWREWRITE PID controller which provides a stable flight in Angle mode. The old default value was 90 which provided a very unstable flight for some users with this pid controller.

(By 90 they mean 9.0)

I think I read somewhere to start at a value of 2.0 or so and go from there.

HippyFPV

Just finished tuning and found that 1.2 is the sweet spot for me, what a difference from 9! No wonder it fliped over! Thanks a lot for the help guys :D