Angry flier rants

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
That's fine for the really small ones...I'm talking 049s and such...because they're too weak to do any damage if they bite. And that's ok to do with the super big ones, shockingly enough, because they idle so slowly that you'll have your hand out of the prop disc before the thing picks up enough speed to bite you.

Still, if you're hand-starting an engine, use a chicken stick(My poor-man's chicken stick is just a screwdriver held by the shank) or put on a welding glove. If you're wearing the glove and it bites you, it's gonna hurt like hell, but it won't do any actual damage.

....personally I just use an electric starter and be done with it. Just a kiss and the engine's running, my fingers are never in the prop, all's good in the world.
I find myself more skeezed out working on electrics tbh. I shouldn't have to remove the prop every time I want to check/adjust the servos but that's the safe way to do it with an electric. A fuel plane can't just randomly bite you during a servo check/adjust because the Tx got bumped. There's only one time it can bite you and it will never be a surprise when it does that. Not with electric. Electric is just as inert appearing when it's live and ready to fly as when there's no battery installed at all.
To work on my models I do not need to remove anything but rather I turn the Tx off and use the failsafe to kill the motor permanently, (well until the Tx is re-energized). When doing setups where I need the Tx turned on I disconnect a single lead to the motor so that it cannot be driven and yet it can still supply the beeps generated by the ESC.

I still have all my fingers:p

JennyC6

Elite member
To work on my models I do not need to remove anything but rather I turn the Tx off and use the failsafe to kill the motor permanently, (well until the Tx is re-energized). When doing setups where I need the Tx turned on I disconnect a single lead to the motor so that it cannot be driven and yet it can still supply the beeps generated by the ESC.

I still have all my fingers:p
Still more than I have to do. I can switch mine on whenever I want and do whatever adjustments needed without worry :p

I've also had them run on two phases before. Not very well, but they'll do it. Was running a 1/10 2wd buggy on a carpet track when a jump dislodged a phase wire from the ESC and the car started acting very strange. No power, ESC went into thermal overload after about half a lap, but it would still drive.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Still more than I have to do. I can switch mine on whenever I want and do whatever adjustments needed without worry :p

I've also had them run on two phases before. Not very well, but they'll do it. Was running a 1/10 2wd buggy on a carpet track when a jump dislodged a phase wire from the ESC and the car started acting very strange. No power, ESC went into thermal overload after about half a lap, but it would still drive.
True on the possibility of some movement but there is no torque and so a light tap is the worst you will experience! Mind you even that is rare indeed!

Have fun!

Krodmississippi

well in the spirit of angry rants!

Just how many people are you REALLY bothering in an area where you can legally shoot a round of birdshot thru a shot gun, clearly your out in the country to be popping off rounds..so how many people are you really bothering........and it IS illegal to shoot down the model anywhere and you maybe video recorded doing it how are going to prove he wasnt flying LOS or had a spotter and flying legal, and if your flying 15 miles away, your NOT flying low enough to bother people the farther you go the more altitude you need to maintain a signal or you drop out of the sky and loose $600 in long range FPV gear, with such an investment the majority of "long range" pilots are not that reckless too expensive
seriously how many news articles are there in a day of planes dropping out of the sky hurting people....there is more domestic violence perpetrated against children daily!........... but lets look for a toy plane hes not flying how I want him too.

sure there are a few idiots that do dumb things and dumb KIDS with CHEAP fpv quads, yeah there is a bit more of an issue, I am more inclined to agree...kids do stupid things....stupid is as stupid does

having haters on our own team is not going to be good for the hobby any way you look at it
not getting into arguments here because there is an ass making trouble in each and EVERY endeavor in life, including LINE OF SIGHT FLYING
or any thing you can think of for that matter!......and I dare say RC models are not the scourge of the world, I think there is a heck of alot more dangerous things in society to worry about than toys.

but I digress we can each get pissed about whatever we choose.......... right or wrong View attachment 169551
Didn’t know about the shooting down a model but if you pop a drone it’s criminal mischief felony if it’s over a thousand dollars worth that’s on the local level. It’s the same as shooting a manned aircraft in the federal aspect. I’m a licensed and registered drone pilot and have had the police at my door more than one because of my flying 350 feet in the air in my neighbor hood. They laugh and thank me for my cooperation and move on.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
IT"S SO HARD TO GET A JOB BEFORE YOU"RE 18! I need more funds for this hobby, and it's darn near impossible to get anything other than odd jobs! GRRRRRR:mad:
Aside from a tour of duty, I've never done anything but Odd Jobs!

Don't think of it as a downside, think of it as being an entrepreneur working your way up!

I've still got odd jobs on the side that keep my cash flow going, but I don't have a boss! (just don't tell my wife ;) ) Aside from my time in the Marines, I never have and never will if I can help it.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Aside from a tour of duty, I've never done anything but Odd Jobs!

Don't think of it as a downside, think of it as being an entrepreneur working your way up!

I've still got odd jobs on the side that keep my cash flow going, but I don't have a boss! (just don't tell my wife ;) ) Aside from my time in the Marines, I never have and never will if I can help it.
Thanks! I actually started a pretty good business mowing and landscaping several properties. It made me enough $$$ to start this GREAT hobby.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
When I started this time around I had very little folding stuff. I was able to make a few FT birds and then undertook to repair the planes of the other club members who were lacking the skills and abilities to effect their own repairs.

Over time I gained a number of write offs that the owner did not wish to attempt to fly and repaired them to give to other club members. If you are unable to earn the cash then NEVER forget the ability to trade your way up in the hobby.

Get good enough at building and repairing and there is a definite market for your services!

Have fun!

"Corpse"

Legendary member
When I started this time around I had very little folding stuff. I was able to make a few FT birds and then undertook to repair the planes of the other club members who were lacking the skills and abilities to effect their own repairs.

Over time I gained a number of write offs that the owner did not wish to attempt to fly and repaired them to give to other club members. If you are unable to earn the cash then NEVER forget the ability to trade your way up in the hobby.

Get good enough at building and repairing and there is a definite market for your services!

Have fun!
Thanks!