does anyone actually follow regulations?

akimbo

Seeing all this stuff about remote id recently just reminded me how stupid all the regulations are. At first, I did pay the 5 dollar fee and tape my number on my plane but now I don't remember the number nor do I intend to use it. I refuse to comply with a regulation that only serves as extortion. as for remote id, I think it should only be applied to pre made drones that are often misused and are the most irresponsibly operated. I'm not going to pay for a $300 chonker of a device and strap it to my plane, all to have its exact location publicly broadcasted. And no, I am not afraid of being stopped by police or park rangers because the only time that would happen is because they are interested or because I am irresponsibly operating my plane (i don't). Anyway, sorry for the rant just curious if this is just me.

attention all glowies reading this, this is all hypothetical and in minecraft
1693285279809.jpeg

tamuct01

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I did the initial $5, but I've let it lapse. I haven't taken their stupid test, either. I've been flying for 10+ years, I have my AMA membership, and I know how to safely operate flying toys. The Feds can pound sand.

kdobson83

To make matters worse, it appears that the FAA has and is denying a large portion of the FRIA requests being submitted including Flite Test's own request to make Edgewater Airpark a FRIA. Even many of the FRIA requests being submitted for AMA flying fields are being denied. Essentially, come September 16th, it appears 95% of hobbyists who fly will be breaking these regulations unless they have one of those transponders.

Flite Test is releasing their version of this transponder and it'll only be like $40-$50. But I personally still don't plan on getting one. lol

What I don't fully understand is this WHOLE thing the FAA is pushing, are just regulations. They aren't Laws. None of this was voted in by our Reps or Senators. How does the FAA have the authority to force hundreds of thousands of people and companies to comply to something that isn't even a law?

I have written my local Senator and Representative already, guess I'll have to send them some more emails.

akimbo

To make matters worse, it appears that the FAA has and is denying a large portion of the FRIA requests being submitted including Flite Test's own request to make Edgewater Airpark a FRIA. Even many of the FRIA requests being submitted for AMA flying fields are being denied. Essentially, come September 16th, it appears 95% of hobbyists who fly will be breaking these regulations unless they have one of those transponders.

Flite Test is releasing their version of this transponder and it'll only be like $40-$50. But I personally still don't plan on getting one. lol

What I don't fully understand is this WHOLE thing the FAA is pushing, are just regulations. They aren't Laws. None of this was voted in by our Reps or Senators. How does the FAA have the authority to force hundreds of thousands of people and companies to comply to something that isn't even a law?

I have written my local Senator and Representative already, guess I'll have to send them some more emails.
Same thing is happening with the atf, in this case I think the best thing to do is just not comply. What are they going to do

Thomas B

Actually, lots of FRIAs are being approved. There are around 900 approved FRIAs and 200 denied FRIAs, at least on the AMA side of things. Still around5-6 hundred more requests in the queue for the AMA.

Many denied FRIAs have been redrawn to avoid roads, buildings, footpaths and public areas, then resubmitted and were approved, including FTs home field.

Piotrsko

Master member
Worst they can do is maximum fine/penalty and maybe a restriction which would be impossible to enforce. DNO insurance covers that although perhaps not cost efficient any more. In the last fifty years I don't know of anyone being jailed, or even actually caught. If you are so fraught, go fly indoors, that isnt restricted at all.

Piotrsko

Master member
I don't view this as standing up (which is considered "intent") tis more of an apathetic approach

SigFan

I've only flown indoor since getting back into the hobby, but when the weather gets warm, I'll pretty much be flying at my local AMA club which is a FRIA. If I do decide to fly outside of the club FRIA, I'll throw a RemoteID in there. There has already been a case of a drone pilot getting his full scale commercial pilot cert suspended. Since I rely on my full scale pilot cert for my income, it'd be pretty embarrassing to tell my boss I can't fly for 6 months cause I didn't put a transponder in my RC plane. Does it suck? Yeah. Do I think it is adding to safety? No. I don't foresee FAA Aviation Safety Inspectors(the sky police) coming up to folks in a park and asking to look in their RC planes. I think the only way people are gonna get busted for this is if some Karen calls the police or some local cop says something because they see someone having fun. The police then notify the FAA or something like that. The pilot suspension I mentioned above was just that, they police went up and talked to him and even put him in handcuffs.

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
I've only flown indoor since getting back into the hobby, but when the weather gets warm, I'll pretty much be flying at my local AMA club which is a FRIA. If I do decide to fly outside of the club FRIA, I'll throw a RemoteID in there. There has already been a case of a drone pilot getting his full scale commercial pilot cert suspended. Since I rely on my full scale pilot cert for my income, it'd be pretty embarrassing to tell my boss I can't fly for 6 months cause I didn't put a transponder in my RC plane. Does it suck? Yeah. Do I think it is adding to safety? No. I don't foresee FAA Aviation Safety Inspectors(the sky police) coming up to folks in a park and asking to look in their RC planes. I think the only way people are gonna get busted for this is if some Karen calls the police or some local cop says something because they see someone having fun. The police then notify the FAA or something like that. The pilot suspension I mentioned above was just that, they police went up and talked to him and even put him in handcuffs.
Yep. We don’t like it, and it is up to each of us to decide if we will comply with remote ID or note. I agree with you, SigFan, it’s easier to comply and not risk any enforcement action, as rare as that may be.

Our objective is to help get FRIAs approved for people and when that’s not possible, provide a low cost, made-in-the-USA remote ID broadcast module.

Draftman1

Same here, I’m not employed as a pilot, but I have a commercial rating, 107 and moving up to CFI , I do not want to jeopardize my certs for a model.
I don’t like the rules either but a few bad apples...
I just found out that the two semi local clubs have been awarded FRIAS