Another 9x question...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I just put in an order yesterday for a couple of things from hk yesterday and forgot to add a tx lipo for my 9x... Oops. Looking at the tx packs, I was wondering why you need a low discharge battery (ie 1C) and whether a high discharge (20C) would work OK instead. I'm no electrician, but I thought batteries discharge whatever is drawn from them. If that is true, could I use one of my 3s 20C batteries?

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Two reasons
- Low dischare is normally cheaper - you dont need the low internal resistance and can manufacture heavier batteries with more capacitey in the same volume.
- TX batteries are normally manufacured to size compatible to the old Nixx packs used in TX.

(some TX batteries have built in electronics and fuse to protect the TX and the battery).
Are you aware of everyting then why bother - use your normal LiPo like many others without problems.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Often people also use LiFePo batteries as they are on another range of voltages and suit much better to the actualy voltage of many Tx´s needed.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
but check if the 9x supports 3s, some radios could fry....
The 9X uses 8 AA 1.5v batts which is 12v...a 3s lipo is fine. This one is actually a perfect fit but you'll need to change the connector

Rhino 2620mAh 3S 11.1v Low-Discharge Transmitter Lipoly Pack

It's on back-order but but get another 3s that close to the same dimensions.

R2620-3S-.jpg

Last edited:

Pilot Scott

FLY LOW
My JR radio came with a NiCad battery :)
I'm with you on that. My DX8 has NiMH and I have never even thought of adding Lipos for a few reasons. You have to do some serious building and flying to run through a full charge on a TX pack to warrant the need for a high capacity battery and secondly..........hope you never leave your TX on for an extended period, your lipo will be history. You can get away with that on NiMH and NiCad. Also, I like being able to plug in my radio and call it a day. With a lipo, you have to remove it and put it on a charger.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
So I can discharge a NiCad all the way without damage? And can it be overcharged? How long should a NiCad be charged?

Pilot Scott

FLY LOW
The Cadmium crystals are responsible for the memory effect in NiCad batteries and the short answer to your question is yes. There are some that say you can short a NiCad to dissolve the crystals but research shows that the safest and most effective way to prevent the memory effect is to use the device until the batteries are flat/exhausted and then recharge. Don't try this trick with NiMH batteries because if they are discharged too much, they will go in to an unrepairable polarity reversal and won't come back.
So I can discharge a NiCad all the way without damage? And can it be overcharged? How long should a NiCad be charged?

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
.. My DX8 has NiMH and I have never even thought of adding Lipos for a few reasons...
I ordered the DX8 LiPo from HobbyKing the same moment it appeared on the home page.
With the original battery i had to charge the TX every week - it takes a day with the supplied charger.
I have only charged the new LiPo once efter i put it in and there is still a lot left capacity to fly on.
DX8 has a special setting for LiPo and the charger is internal in the DX8 - no need to think about the supplied charging adapter.

Same with my DX7. Although it is no big difference in capacity, the LiPo seems to last many times the original Nixx.

WARNING ! Do not forget to shut off the TX after flying when using LiPo. WARNING !

con244

There has been a lot of discussion elsewhere that 3s is probably a little high and causes the electronics to run hotter than would be ideal. The electronics in this Tx and indeed most transmitters only needs 5v to operate. That and the fact that voltage regulators require an additional 2v to do their magic, a voltage of around 7v is all that is required. I used a 2s battery and did a small mod to the voltage sensing circuitry so that the low voltage circuit worked correctly. I used a couple of these http://www.dinodirect.com/TrustFire-14500-Lithium-Battery-900mAh-3-7V-2-Pcs-72769-currency-AUD.html soldered together to make my pack up and have been extremely happy with the performance. Here is a tutorial on how to do it http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/tendollarbattery.shtml. Just make sure that you check the battery size you use fits in your battery compartment. If you don't you could have trouble fitting it in (Don't ask how I know).
Con

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
There has been a lot of discussion elsewhere that 3s is probably a little high and causes the electronics to run hotter than would be ideal. The electronics in this Tx and indeed most transmitters only needs 5v to operate. That and the fact that voltage regulators require an additional 2v to do their magic, a voltage of around 7v is all that is required. I used a 2s battery and did a small mod to the voltage sensing circuitry so that the low voltage circuit worked correctly. I used a couple of these http://www.dinodirect.com/TrustFire-14500-Lithium-Battery-900mAh-3-7V-2-Pcs-72769-currency-AUD.html soldered together to make my pack up and have been extremely happy with the performance. Here is a tutorial on how to do it http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/tendollarbattery.shtml. Just make sure that you check the battery size you use fits in your battery compartment. If you don't you could have trouble fitting it in (Don't ask how I know).
Con

That is quite genius.
I think nowadays there are a lot of Spektrum DX6i´s going around as well.

Does anyone know about tricks there? Me and my brother have to take normal batteries as it only needs 4 AA batteries and therefore can´t be replaced with a 3S

ParkeFlyer

Many chargers come with a NiCad discharge/charge mode that will fully discharge the battery before charging and then automatically cutoff when full. I've heard (but can't guarantee) you can run this cycle a couple times to refresh older NiCads.

Often people also use LiFePo batteries as they are on another range of voltages and suit much better to the actualy voltage of many Tx´s needed.

For my Turnigy 9x I've been very happy with this battery (just make sure your charger supports LiFe):

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16764

Another advantage of these low dis-charge LiFe batteries are their thin connector wires... easy to get in the battery compartment and easy to attach the correct connector for the 9x.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Does that battery already have the correct connector for the 9X..it looks like it does.

It also says from the photo that the battery is "high discharge"

Z18002S-5F.jpg

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I've procured one of the Turnigy 2650 3S 1C Tx lipo packs. The jr plug doesn't fit on the 9x, but the futaba one slots in nicely.