Anybody flying Experimental Airlines planes ?

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I was just curious to know if anyone is flying any of Ed's design planes ? So simple of a design. When you are starting to learn to fly, why not a real simple plane like the Noob Tube.

Looking forward to any response,
Al

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Hi Everyone,

I was just curious to know if anyone is flying any of Ed's design planes ? So simple of a design. When you are starting to learn to fly, why not a real simple plane like the Noob Tube.

Looking forward to any response,
Al
I did want to try building one of his planes, but personally I would rather use his techniques to build my own planes. Also about the noob tube, it is a very simple build, but I think that even he says it isn't a trainer and is better for experienced pilots. It does look like a lot of fun for better pilots though.

danskis

Master member
His planes are great....you can always use a smaller motor to get it to fly slower. Also you don't need all that tape on the plane. It just make it heavier. You do have to tape on your firewall with two layers of tape or it will pull off.

alan0043

I remember Ed talking about the Noob Tube might be for first time pilots. but he also talked about putting dihedral or polyhedral into the wings that could help make the plane more user friendly. I'm thinking that you could build a plane using FT designs with EA designs. Just thinking out loud. For the FT design part you could use the power pod, then build the rest of the plane using EA simple design. Just some ideas.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I remember Ed talking about the Noob Tube might be for first time pilots. but he also talked about putting dihedral or polyhedral into the wings that could help make the plane more user friendly. I'm thinking that you could build a plane using FT designs with EA designs. Just thinking out loud. For the FT design part you could use the power pod, then build the rest of the plane using EA simple design. Just some ideas.
I do know that some FT designs actually use EA techniques. For example, the fold over admin wing was an EA thing I think. I do really like the EA fuselage tube design though. He manages to make them look really nice by beveling them and stuff instead of using a and b folds.

danskis

Master member
Al,...... your correct, for a beginner either the noob tube with dihedral or the FT simple soarer with a motor are great place to start for a beginner. Notice that they look very similar. If your a true beginner I would reinforce the nose with some bamboo skewers or paint stirrers.

T-Richard

I built a bunch, noob tubes axon and ansley peace drones. The build technique are solid and the tubular frame and wings are stronger than typical a fold b folds from early flitetest. I built a jig to get the frames all squared nicely. As others have mentioned, probably the best thing is to integrate his techniques and make whatever you want. I still tape and spar more like he does.

Axon is an awesome beginner platform. First airplane I had true success with although I built a ton of noob tubes I just smashed them all. I was a noob at the time so I wasn't very good at flying but I was pleased at how easily I could build another to crash it again

T-Richard

These are just a few early builds
2013-08-18-16321.JPG

Attachments

• 20140709_183307.jpg
    20140709_183307.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 2013-09-05-17048.JPG
    2013-09-05-17048.JPG
    922.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20140118_092800.jpg
    20140118_092800.jpg