100 gram airplane builds

dryhiker

Flying in Japan got crazy last year with new regulations similar to those in the US. In Japan after registering your plane you must inform the government that you intend to fly. You must have a spotter to ensure that you don't exit the boundaries of your flying site. You must inform the government if there is a crash so that the airplane supplier can investigate and eliminate the problem which led to the crash.

As I complained to a co-worker about this he asked, "Does that apply to all RC planes?" I replied that it only applies to planes weighing more than 100 grams.

"Well then, you have your design requirements, don't you!" was his reply!

I scaled down the FT Alpha to 60% on my home printer and got to work with a 3mm Depron sheet available at a DIY store nearby. I have an original, never to be flown in Japan, Alpha here in silver, as well as the 100 gram version. The 100 gram version is called Hyaku, meaning "hundred". It is not painted because it came out at 95 grams and I want some margin for future repairs. I am definitely intimidated by the thought of flying it!

I chose the 1106 6000KV motor and a very small 2S battery, along with linear micro servos. It all works, but I am not sure how well it will work in flight. I find the gremlin motor to be hard-starting. The servos don't seem to have the precision of larger ones. A flight test is badly needed!

I can do better. I have heard that UHU Por is a lightweight alternative for gluing everything together. There are also some better servos around 2 grams as well.

Has anyone else tackled this challenge? I would like to have a 100 gram mustang, for example.

I built the Hyaku using all of the parts in the original plan but scaled to 60% There is probably a better way to alter the design to get the same plane but with fewer parts. Any recommendations will be appreciated!

Andy.
Alpha.jpeg
Hyaku.jpeg

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Flying in Japan got crazy last year with new regulations similar to those in the US. In Japan after registering your plane you must inform the government that you intend to fly. You must have a spotter to ensure that you don't exit the boundaries of your flying site. You must inform the government if there is a crash so that the airplane supplier can investigate and eliminate the problem which led to the crash.

As I complained to a co-worker about this he asked, "Does that apply to all RC planes?" I replied that it only applies to planes weighing more than 100 grams.

"Well then, you have your design requirements, don't you!" was his reply!

I scaled down the FT Alpha to 60% on my home printer and got to work with a 3mm Depron sheet available at a DIY store nearby. I have an original, never to be flown in Japan, Alpha here in silver, as well as the 100 gram version. The 100 gram version is called Hyaku, meaning "hundred". It is not painted because it came out at 95 grams and I want some margin for future repairs. I am definitely intimidated by the thought of flying it!

I chose the 1106 6000KV motor and a very small 2S battery, along with linear micro servos. It all works, but I am not sure how well it will work in flight. I find the gremlin motor to be hard-starting. The servos don't seem to have the precision of larger ones. A flight test is badly needed!

I can do better. I have heard that UHU Por is a lightweight alternative for gluing everything together. There are also some better servos around 2 grams as well.

Has anyone else tackled this challenge? I would like to have a 100 gram mustang, for example.

I built the Hyaku using all of the parts in the original plan but scaled to 60% There is probably a better way to alter the design to get the same plane but with fewer parts. Any recommendations will be appreciated!

Andy.
View attachment 237529 View attachment 237530
Check any designs by @Silver Surfer FPV. He does cartoon scale but they're all small and the same techniques will apply.

dryhiker

Mr NCT, thank you for the link! I will check it out more thoroughly. I would also be interested in anyone who has shrunk any FT models down to the 100 gram region. Also, what are the best motors for planes of this size? I chose the 1106 motor but it may be more than I need.

One thing that really helped me get started was the way FT had the power pack, battery, ESC and plane all being compatible for a number of designs. There probably isn't a big market for 100 gram planes, but I would at least like to get a good recommendation for a motor/prop/battery combo.

Andy.

FishbonesAir

Groundcontrolrc has free plans for a well developed Nano jet. AUW Weight 40g, 1s or 2s.

He gives Banggood links for parts. If those don't work, try Buzzard Models. I buy nano parts from him, and have never had a problem.

Capt Fishbones

dryhiker

Fishbones,

Thank you for the recommendation of Buzzard Models! They have a lot of the connectors and other things I haven't easily found. I will definitely be shopping there!

dryhiker

Danskis,

I used hot glue for a 60% Alpha and it came in at 95g. I am now working on a 60% Mini Mustang and using 3mm foam, much like Depron. I am using Uhu Por for that and it will come out a lot lighter than it would with hot glue. I got that idea from the web someplace. Possibly a different FT Forum. Anyway you are right, there are lighter alternatives.

Johncastro1

Dryhiker,
How’s your project coming along, I would love to see how it’s going. I’m interested in sub 100 fixed wings since I’m after something very similar. I just started but I hope to have something flying soon. My goal is a twin engine, aelerons and elevon. I’m relatively new to this but very excited. My goal is to repurpose a AIO flight controller, maybe one day I’ll throw a camera since it’s already carrying a vtx tool.

dryhiker

I am in the US now, and return to Japan tomorrow. While here I was able to fly a couple of planes and get in practice. The other day I flew my Alpha, shown above in silver. That plane flies great and I was able to launch it and learn a bit about how it flies. I am now ready to fly the Hyaku version. I will employ a stand for launching because that small one will be a handfull, I believe! I will report back in a week or so.