Anyone have chuck plane plans?

GreasedBrick

Hi Folks,

One of my daughters has asked to build a foam plane that she can chuck about while I'm flying the Nutball I built. She wants to build it out of foam and, as she's seven a really simple design would be good. I'm hoping that if this sparks her interest, then later she may want to move over to RC building and flying.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Chris

engineer

I made one this last weekend for my nephew. Just started cutting pieces that felt right.
(Will insert pictures after work here).
The basis for design was FT Flyer, using the dihedral to keep it upright.
Each wing is 8" with 5" root and 3" tip, and I gave the leading edge a bevel cut on the top.
The tail is literally the shape of my protractor, cut off above the 40 degree marks on each side. Same bevel cut on the h stab as wings, very stab got both sides.
Fuse is about 16" long by 1.5" wide strip, folded into a V lengthwise (score, break, double bevel cut and fold like leading edge of many FT wings). I cut a notch in the tail side of the fuse so the tail could be inserted and would stay stable.
Before mounting the tail, set dihedral same way as Flyer, by taping top sides of the wings together,flip over and fill the seam with glue and let cool.
Finally glue tail to the end and wings in the middle.

GreasedBrick

Thanks for the input guys Sam and I have had a look at the soarer build video and it is a possibility for us, but a little complex for what we are trying to do. The FT flyer based build also sounds good would you mind posting a few pics? I have just built a flyer for when I master the Nutball and it was a pretty easy build, so a modified Ft may be what were after.