APM2.8.0 Flight Controller w/ Ublox NEO-M8N GPS Newbie wants suggestions

Red_Jeepster

Hello Multi-Rotor Guys,
I am a newbie to Multi-Rotor, and have an APM 2.8.0 controller with the GPS unit. My intention is to use this in my first X Quad. I have the sum experience of flying my Proto-X and also my 1SQ.
I am looking at the FT ELectroboard kit for a platform, and the Quad power kit offered as a combo here in the store.
Initially I will NOT fly it with gimbal and camera, but intend to in the future once I have it flying well enough.
I am no NEWBIE to RC flight - building and flying for 40 years. However, this technical stuff is confusing; motor selection, FPV equipment, Flight controller, GPS etc.

Any suggestions for set-ups?

I'd gladly assist in helping a newbie builder or newbie to SCALE, while I am here. This is one of my planes. Giant Aeromaster.

Thanks,
IM000519.JPG

BankNYank!

Mentor
Hello Red_Jeepster and welcome to the forum!

The ElectroHub frame and FT Power Pack D are an excellent combination!

The APM 2.8 can be a bit of a challenge to get setup. If your lucky and everything works right the first time then your golden. But the reality is that rarely happens with an APM flight controller. Don't get me wrong, APM flight controllers (IMO) are pretty nice, it's just that getting them setup can be a pain. For a first build I would recommend getting a kk2.1.5 flight controller. This was the first FC I used and my quad flew just fine with stock settings. The FC also has a built in display that makes tuning a whole lot easier than most flight controllers. Having this option to tinker while in the field will help you to learn the basics that are the same on any flight controller like tuning PID's.

If you really want to start out with the APM then I will say that there is a huge APM community for support and mine worked on my H-Quad with default settings in stabilize and acro mode. However it did not work in altitude hold or any flight modes using the baro or GPS. These issues can be very time consuming to figure out and cause mountains of frustration which again takes me back to the reasons for starting with a KK2.1.5.

In closing I would like to say that the ElectroHub frame and Power Pack D will work great for your first build and you should have no issues there just be sure to buy lots of props. In learning to fly a scratch build multirotor most anyone will tell you that you stand the chance of going through tons of props! Props are cheap and you don't want to be stuck on the ground waiting on an order of props to come in!!! The props that come with the Power Pack D are 1045 and 1045R be sure to get both when ordering! I recommend getting about five sets to start. Thats ten of each cw and ccw.

I hope this helps and I hope I've answered your questions!

I hope you post pictures of your build and I look forward to seeing your new quad in the air!!!

Red_Jeepster

Thanks! I will certainly consider putting a KK 2.1.5 FC in for the "Novice" stage. My hope is to get familiar and confident in just flying well, and work my way up to GPS and all the Techie stuff in time. Then on to Video and possible FPV.
I have counseled so many "wanna-be" P-51 pilots - you know the type - never flew a thing before but have to have the warbird first. So I am very comfortable in taking advice. Besides, it's not cheap to learn the hard way! :)
I do have 4 DJI 2212-920kv motors and a Hobbywing 4-in-one 25A ESC here already, I think that should be pretty good set-up. (Right?)
I'll head over to HK or someplace and check out the KK controller.
THANKS A BUNCH!

For all you who read this, STAND BY... I'll have many more Q's, I'm sure.

BankNYank!

Mentor
I do have 4 DJI 2212-920kv motors and a Hobbywing 4-in-one 25A ESC here already, I think that should be pretty good set-up. (Right?)

Those motors and the esc's should work fine together. Those motors should also be just fine swinging the same 1045 props.

For future purchase and just my opinion I would recommend buying individual esc's with SimonK or BlHeli firmware on them or buy esc's that you can flash yourself with the above firmware. I recommend individual esc's because they make it easier to troubleshoot and if one esc goes out you don't have to replace the whole unit like with a four in one.

But you already have the four in one and like I said above, they should work just fine together.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I concur with BankNYank -- it's not that APM is all that hard to get working, it's just that there are so many more variables, you really want to eliminate those for a first build.

I was building and flying APM on fixed wing platforms for months, but when I build my first multirotor, I threw a $15 Flip 1.5 with MultiWii on it and was grateful because I wouldn't have been as devastated if it broke due to pilot/builder error. Finally, after about a year of flying it around, I'm JUST NOW, starting to replace it with a Pixhawk (a mini version) -- and have also built a mini tricopter with a micro APM set.

Even with the micro APM trifecta, I have been very slow in progressing with it. Initially flew only in stabilized or acro modes, with failsafe set to cut throttle (no autoland, RTL, etc). Once I got it tuned and was used to how it flew in those modes, I started testing altitude hold but wouldn't switch to the GPS modes. This was because I noticed when I put FPV equipment on, my GPS locks were taking longer. Of course, I ended up having to add copper shielding (via copper tape) to the bottom of the GPS unit and the mobius camera I had mounted on the front.

Anyway, as you can see, it can be an ordeal...

I definitely recommend Keeping It Simple and Straightforward (my take on KISS).

Red_Jeepster

I chose the 4-in-one ESC because of what I read at 3dr site. The electromagnetic interference is much less than 4 seperate esc's. At $37 I'll try it, but if I see any troubles I'll go Back to 4 units.
I really do appreciate all the knowledge being shared here.
Thanks Guys!

ZoomNBoom

KK wouldnt have been my choice, although I can understand why its being suggested. I would have gone with a Naze/cleanflight board instead, because its a lot better, the setup more similar to the APM and there is a ton of howto's and support out there for it.

I will commend you on your attitude, and the foresight to start with micro quads and slowly move to bigger one's without relying on GPS and stuff. I have no doubt you'll succeed in the end :)