Asking for some help.

bgfireguy92

Gents, I was trying to get my tough tilt tricopter built and flying for Flite Fest and its built but I can't seem to get it flying. So why post you ask? Well I've got two other projects I need to finish for FF2015 so I don't have time to finish my poor tri. Was wondering if anyone who's really good with it would be willing to help me when we all show up. I'm volunteering so will be busy with that most of the time so willing to work something out if you can help me. Its taking a lot for me to swallow my pride here and admit I need help but I know I can't do it all. Any help would be appreciated.

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
just ask someone in the build tent, most will help. If you find me, I will help. (sounds like field of dreams, huh)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
BG,

Bring her along and we'll get her squared away :)

Just curious, which flight controller are you running? what's your headache with her?

bgfireguy92

Full Naze 32 with clean flight and the Swede's new setting's for tricopter. Won't lift off and when it does try it flips over. And no certain direction it just flips. Hard.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
That we can fix. Might take some poking and prodding, but instaflip is curable. If you won't have a Laptop on site, we'll have to find one to borrow, but we can help you tame her :)

bgfireguy92

If you won't have a Laptop on site, we'll have to find one to borrow, but we can help you tame her :)

I'll bring mine no problem. I really appreciate it Dan. You were so instrumental in helping with my quad and now this? I can't begin to express my gratitude

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Full Naze 32 with clean flight and the Swede's new setting's for tricopter. Won't lift off and when it does try it flips over. And no certain direction it just flips. Hard.

Hopefully you are using the Standalone version (not the new board integrated frame version).
I am using the standalone version myself.
I thought my problems may have been from using the wrong version, but I had the correct version all along.
I had the exact same problems you describe - Check the Thread HERE
What I found with Davids firmware is that the board is flipped over.
I reversed my board orientation in CleanFlight (Pitch + 180) and it started working.
It's actually flying pretty well.

Best regards,
PCH

bgfireguy92

@PHugger

ok finally had a day off. I reflashed the board witht the standalone firmware. Got it all set still tries to flip over backwards. But the model on the screen is in the correct orientation and mirrors the movements of the tricopter. So I am at a REAL LOSS here.

If you need screenshots of anything with settings or whatever let me know and Ill get them for you.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
My 3D model was in the correct orientation, but left & right rolls were backwards. Front and rear were OK, but the fix was to add +180 to the pitch. This was counterintuitive. There is something strange with that firmware. Try the flip and see if it helps. Mine is flying very well now.

Best regards,
PCH

bgfireguy92

Ok so again Im and idiot. Found out that i had the tail motor spinning in the right direction but the wrong prop so it was driving the tail down while lifting up the front so = instaflip. So switched out the prop but now this tri wants to spin like a top. In the video I shot it spins counter-clockwise the first three times and then clockwise on the fourth. Any Ideas????

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Your video is Private....

Start at the beginning and go over everything again.
Do a Full Clean flight setup. Especially end & mid points.
Something basic isn't right.
I would test the Yaw servo with a Servo Tester or directly attached to a Receiver.
Make sure there are no dead spots or excessive jitters.

Best regards,
PCH

bgfireguy92

Ok sorry didnt realize the default on youtube was private so its public now you can watch it. And I had a bolt out of the blue flash at midnight laying there in bed trying to fall asleep. I remembered reading a post somewhere that ppl were having this same spin like a top problem. They said that the servo had to be reversed in the FC cause tri would start to spin, the p setting in trying to compensate would tilt the servo in what it thought it was the right direction but was wrong so it was actually accelerate the spinning. then it would tilt further to compensate more and make it worse, starting a vicious cycle. So I ran to the garage, reveresed it in the fc, reversed my channel so the servo would tilt in the right direction and..........BAM!!!!!! GOT IT! now i just have to start tuning the pid settings. Thanks for your help and anything else you want to throw at me advice wise would be greatly appreciated.

Out of curiosity, which version of the firmware are you using? I was unable to save the yaw reversal setting using Naze 1.9.0 on the Acro version (from the FT store). I had to fall back to 1.8.1 to make this work.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Excellent!
Put some blades on that thing and have some fun cutting the grass.

Best regards,
PCH