Baby spitfire nitro engine question?

Rc high flyer

Recently I was in my grandparents basement and found a old control line nitro rc plane. The plane was totaled from the box being crushed but I salvaged the engine and the fuel tank. I actually Found a extra glow plug. The engine was seized but I was able to get it fee by using some wd-40 after that I soaked it in some nitro fuel. So my question is can you start a nitro motor with out a propeller. Because I want to see if the engine will run before I spend money on a wood propeller. And do you guys have any advice on these small engines. I know a far amount on how a gas engine works but nothing about nitro other than the glow plugs go bad often.

Rc high flyer

I found a fly wheel for the motor so i am going to use that. I read that the piston needs wieght to complete the stroke. So you either need a fly wheel or a propeller.

BobK

Banned
Can you post a picture of that engine? I was going to say you shouldn't try to start it without a prop, I am curious about the flywheel you found, if I am right that is made to wrap a string around to make a pull-start. Do you have a glow driver?

Rc high flyer

Okay, here are a a couple pictures IMG_1008.JPG IMG_1009.JPG . I do not have a glow driver but surprising enough I also found the Manuel for the engine and it said the glow plug runs on 1.5 volts so I put two D size batterys in parallel and put alligator clips on the end. I tried starting the engine with string but it did not start. I used my finger and it started right away. I might try starting it with string again in the future. Also do you know of any good glow drivers for this small of a engine I would like to get one because the glow plug runs the battery down fast. thank you for your help.

Paul-H

Any of the current crop of Glow drivers will work as the voltage requirements of modern glow Plugs is still 1.5v

fitting a small prop will make flick starting easier and stop the motor over revving to destruction.

Paul

BobK

Banned
Nice, it is the engine I thought it was but not the flywheel, this is the flywheel I was talking about..it has a groove for a string.

mC_NqBtYVRvD6OXEHpg31WQ.jpg

Nice shape, cool find. I was worried about over-revving also and agree adding a prop is the thing to do. I think this dates to late 40's, maybe early 50's.

SmilingDevil

...I also have one of those old Motors in my basement (it's labled "Tornado, or Hurrican or such), make Sure to put a prop on, otherwise it will over rev and secondly, what else would cool it while running?

Secondly, (at least mine is) it might not use the regular methane fuel, (with a glowplug) but something that ignites because of the combustion, kind of like a diesel.. those engines were pretty common in the 50s.. and they kick like a mule, when you start that, make sure to use a stick or such instead of finger for hand starting that.

but your's looks like it already has a glowplug, so maybe you are safe there :)

Good luck

Last edited:

Rc high flyer

okay so I know it runs so I will buy a prop for it thx. but I am having trouble finding a prop that is small enough and ment for gas engines.

BobK

Banned
Does that link I posted work? It isn't working for me now that I am on my phone. Tower hobbies has the props you need in a few different brands. APC and Master Airscrew 5x3 props, some are called free- flight props.