Back in RC after 20 years. Maiden flight of Bloody Wonder lost communication with plane.

Mode 1

Hi All.

Born and raised an RC kid. My father (who is now 80) still flies on a regular basis. I now have a son who is very interested in the hobby. We built a Bloody Wonder V3 and took her out for her maiden flight today.

Setup:

Power Pack C
Older JR x9309 Radio with Spektrum DSM2 module.
Spektrum Ar610 Receiver

All pre-flight tests were fine. TX Range, CG, Controls etc. We launched into the wind and all was going pretty well, I was surprised at how little trim the plane was going to need. However, as I was gaining altitude and making a left turn I lost all communication with the plane. It slowly rolled over and plunged to earth. For how hard the plane went in I was very pleased to see only a broken prop and some crinkled front fuse and power pod. After the crash we did another range test, this time exceeding the distance of the crash and once again everything was fine.

Obviously, I don't know what happened. I did not have my ESC or receiver permanently mounted in the power pod so there could have been some movement but it would have been minimal if any and I have no idea if that alone would lead to no communication with the plane.

I'm curious if the combo of the dsm2 module in an older JR radio and Ar610 is a problem, but, all range tests were fine.

My maiden flight back in the hobby didn't go as planned but i'm thrilled to be back, this time playing the role as Dad.

Any feedback / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

~ Dave

IMG_20180826_163310161.jpg
IMG_20180826_161529894.jpg

IMG_20180826_181603001.jpg

IMG_20180826_181614032.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180826_181603001.jpg
    IMG_20180826_181603001.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180826_181614032.jpg
    IMG_20180826_181614032.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
hard to say. have you eliminated any other possibilities? loose wires, bad solder, control lines, servos, battery, ... ???

if it bound, checked good on range test, and "was" flying good, it tells me you had some other issue.

good luck.

me :cool:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You did not show the electrics layout in your build and there is a gotcha to be aware of. If you do not get the antennas of the Rx clear of all other wires and at 90 degrees to each other then losing signal will be a common experience in the setup.

In small planes where space is at a premium I will not use spectrum Rxs without a satellite Rx which I mount as far away from everything else as is physically possible.

Unless you are extremely lucky you will never be able to simulate the issue on the ground because of the multiple reflections of the Tx signal when close to the ground but when clear of the ground at height and distance there are no reflections to maintain the Rx signal and so sudden LOS conditions become quite standard.

Revise the antenna locations and alignments prior to your next flight.

Just what I learned from experience!

have fun!

Mode 1

Well, after doing some research and coming across information very similar to Hai-Lee posted above I changed internals paying special attention to the Rx antennas. We flew again and the Bloody Wonder was a joy fly. No issues with signal at all.

Obviously, I have a lot to learn as 20 years ago my father was doing all the detail / building work. I simply flew.

Thanks so much for the feedback guys!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Well, after doing some research and coming across information very similar to Hai-Lee posted above I changed internals paying special attention to the Rx antennas. We flew again and the Bloody Wonder was a joy fly. No issues with signal at all.

Obviously, I have a lot to learn as 20 years ago my father was doing all the detail / building work. I simply flew.

Thanks so much for the feedback guys!

Okay - before we think this is solved - there is still one very important question - where did you get that fabulous color?

DamoRC

IanSR

Good choice of plane, the Bloody Wonder can take a pounding and despite building others, I always end up going back to it in the end, there's just something about its flight characteristics that make it a beast.

Mode 1

Okay - before we think this is solved - there is still one very important question - where did you get that fabulous color?

DamoRC
Hey Damo - At Lowes. it's Krylon Color Max - Gloss Citrus Green and Gloss Mambo Pink

Last edited:

Mode 1

It’s not quite been 2 months since my first post and about 3 months since I started building my first FT plane. I’d like to say thank you to the community for being such a kind, welcoming and helpful group of people.

Little did I know that after building that first Bloody Wonder v3, i’d build 5 planes over the course of 6 weeks. There's something almost addicting about the building process. I had no idea i'd enjoy that as much as i do.
In general, I’m a bit of a distracted mess. A creative who’s mind is always wandering with an attention to match. However, put a sheet of foam in front of me and give me an xacto blade and everything changes. Kind of. Sure, I did build a Mini Arrow inside out (folded the wings the wrong way..sure seemed easier) and last night I installed the servos in a mini scout upside down. Oh well, the wing fits and the servos move the proper surface.

I’ve also learned that my building binge wasn’t very well thought out. 6 planes that could be fitted with 3 different power packs. C’s in the Bloody Wonders, A’s in the Mini Scout and A’s or F’s in the Arrows. In an attempt to try to save a few bucks I tried buying things ala carte instead of purchasing the power packs. A good idea, but this has led to other issues.. Like needing to learn to solder as it appears as if a lot of items do not come pre-soldered with bullet connectors. Maybe paying a bit more and having a drawer full of FT screwdrivers is worth it. My next purchase will be a solder station.

In the last month i’ve also bought a Taranis QX7 and then needed to take the crash course in OpenTX. What a mystery that was at first. Youtube video’s from Painless360 and Blue Falcon were huge assets and I recommend them to anyone moving over to the Taranis line of radios and the Opentx ecosystem. I really dig the radio and can see the greatness of Opentx... If I squint.

I still feel uncomfortable with the electronics. I simply don’t know what I don’t know. Gas sure seemed a lot easier.. Despite reading as much as I can and watching youtube videos it’s all a bit greek to me. New RX’s arrive in the mail with parts, ports, and wires that I don’t know what to do with them. Probably has something to do with an acronym like PPM, PPW, SBUS, BEC or NUTCASE...At this point in the game if my planes are flying and no parts have burst into flames it’s a good day. Watts, Amps, ESC and then there’s the influence of the prop. I’ll take to the flight line with a hard hat and a fire extinguisher.

What else have I learned? Amazon is a blessing and a curse (should probably disable 1-click purchasing) my local hobby shop is super expensive and the FT store often does not have in stock what I need or I need to wait 7-10 days for it to arrive.

As it's more fun to fly with friends I have brought the hobby to two of my friends who have each taking delivery of FT speed build kits, new transmitters and all the other bits and bobs required to get started. One of them owns a brewery and we are planning a build night there next week. (might be an interesting looking Simple Cub when we get done with it ;)

Well. Should probably get back to work.. Thanks again, everyone!

~ Dave

jaredstrees

Wait. Your friend owns a brewery? Where are you located? I could use a new flying buddy!

All kidding aside, I've been in it almost two years now ( a baby compared to many on here) and am still learning all these things as well. One step at a time and keep having fun with it!

Also, binge building is nothing new around here. Every time I start a new plane my wife asks me why. Don't you have enough? How are you going to fly all those? But she knows I love it and we all need something to keep our sanity.

Also, try these guys: Heads up Rc. http://www.headsuphobby.com/ Much better than Amazon for most of these things!

One last thing, if you want a great flying little plane check this one out. She is my go to. If its windy, to warm up before a maiden, etc.

Have fun!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Wait. Your friend owns a brewery? Where are you located? I could use a new flying buddy!

All kidding aside, I've been in it almost two years now ( a baby compared to many on here) and am still learning all these things as well. One step at a time and keep having fun with it!

Also, binge building is nothing new around here. Every time I start a new plane my wife asks me why. Don't you have enough? How are you going to fly all those? But she knows I love it and we all need something to keep our sanity.

Also, try these guys: Heads up Rc. http://www.headsuphobby.com/ Much better than Amazon for most of these things!

One last thing, if you want a great flying little plane check this one out. She is my go to. If its windy, to warm up before a maiden, etc.

Have fun!
I think you forgot the link to the plane buddy:p

And Congratulations to Mode 1 for having fun with the hobby and starting to get your friends into it as well!!

Last edited:

Mode 1

Have fun!
jared.. thanks for the note and the link.