Bad ESC's in power packs, and badly sized motor mounts

saute

I have purchased two power pack A packages and three more of the ESC's contained in those packs, and have , so far, had all of them fail on power up. I purchased those products because I am bad at soldering, and would really prefer a plug and play option. Is there any other source for those ESC's with the 2mm plugs already installed?
Also, is there no possible way to get a correctly sized motor mount for any 1806/2280 kv motor that isn't the emax brand? I have to date spent over $50 trying to get mounts for the motors I have, and absolutely CANNOT find motor mounts for the ft dart and twin sparrow sized motors in the FT store. I'm at my wit's end here guys. The CSR's at Amain hobbies have been great, and have tried to help as much as they can, but this appears to be a rather large quality control issue on the part of Flite Test. Any help to be had from the source?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
fail on power up? 5 total ESCs? sounds like some some wiring/connecting issue or some other bit blowing out your ESCs then the a full set of 5 bad ESCs.

regarding the H-pack motors, the motor mounts seem to only come in the speed build kits (and I haven't seen the H-pack power pack nor the related kits on the store for some months now... I have a feeling that FT discontinued that pack and support for it)

if you have a 3D printer, there are some mounts for the H pack motors for the ft dart/twin sparrow on thingiverse.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Well I have had quite a few FT ESC's of different sizes and have never had a failure. I haven't even heard of another person having a failure. If 5 of them all failed on you I doubt it is an ESC problem but instead a problem with a different part of your setup or the way it is hooked up.
FT only uses emax/ FT radials in their power packs so they probably wouldn't carry other motor mounts and firewalls since it would be pretty impractical for them. I do know that other motors can still fit on the FT firewalls though, so for a normal 1806 a mini firewall should work fine. The motors for the FT Dart and twin sparrow use different motor mounts that FT doesn't seem to carry sadly, they shouldn't be too hard to make though.
The second part of your post (about finding motor mounts) is pretty confusing. Is the problem that FT doesn't carry the right motor mount for whatever motor you have or that the motor mount doesn't fit the FT motor? It also seems like you are trying to use the wrong motor mount since you talk about finding 1806 motor mounts then you say that you are looking for twin sparrow/dart motor mounts. The twin sparrow and dart do not use 1806 motors and have different motor mounts.

whackflyer

Master member
Sounds like you have your power wire on your battery soldered in reverse, or your motor wires are touching. It's next to impossible that you had 5 fail in a row, sounds to me like you have a wiring issue in the rest of your kit.

Bifi.baarlo

I have purchased two power pack A packages and three more of the ESC's contained in those packs, and have , so far, had all of them fail on power up. I purchased those products because I am bad at soldering, and would really prefer a plug and play option. Is there any other source for those ESC's with the 2mm plugs already installed?
Also, is there no possible way to get a correctly sized motor mount for any 1806/2280 kv motor that isn't the emax brand? I have to date spent over $50 trying to get mounts for the motors I have, and absolutely CANNOT find motor mounts for the ft dart and twin sparrow sized motors in the FT store. I'm at my wit's end here guys. The CSR's at Amain hobbies have been great, and have tried to help as much as they can, but this appears to be a rather large quality control issue on the part of Flite Test. Any help to be had from the source?
Why do you need a motormount? You can screw a 1806 motor directly to the firewall.
About the powering up of the esc's, is there no 5V on the red wire or do you hear no beeps from the motor? If that is the case than you probely have to calibrate the esc's.

Bricks

Master member
As mentioned above something in your wiring is not correct. The only time I fried an ESC I had rebuilt a Reactor I got free and installed the motor and ESC with out paying attention when I hooked up my 6S battery the magic smoke just rolled out of it. 4S ESC`s don`t play well with 6S it burned it to a crisp ( grabbed the wrong one ). Only one of my dumb moves over the years that cost me.